Appraiser Alan AOA C
Appraiser Alan AOA C, Appraiser & Adjuster
Experience:  Hello, my name's Alan! I'm a 14 year Appraiser with AOA appraisers, ISA & IRS Qualified, and 5 year Certified & Licensed Insurance Adjuster with 30+ Years Collecting & Dealing.
53896401

We have large dining room set built by Hathway of New York

We have large dining room set built by Hathway of New York in 1935,The table open up to 11' long.There are three other pieces & eight chairs Have you hear of this Co.?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Appraiser Alan AOA C replied 3 years ago.

Alan C. Ransdell, ISA AM, :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I believe that I will be able to help. I am a Qualified Appraiser of Antiques and have an extensive library and countless Antique sites subscriptions at my disposal. Having so many resources, I will need a little time to look into your request for you to make sure I am getting the most accurate information as possible. I just wanted to let you know that I was working on it and that I should have you an answer shortly. do you know the style of it and the kind of wood it is made out? I will try to look this company up for you in my Furniture company book and get back to you later today ok thanks, Alan

Customer:

It is American Federalist. As far as we can tell, it is mahogany. It is very heavy and ornate. The table is 70" and has two leafs that slide out from both ends of the table to make it 130". There are 8 chairs incl. two with arms. There is a sideboard that measures 84" L and has two large drawers. The bottom is open (on legs) and there is a matching small sideboard that is 42"L. There is a china closet that is the same color but none of the carvings match the other pieces but it fits in perfectly. No one every realizes it is different unless we point it out. It is all solid - no glass. One large compartment and door on top and two shelves behind two door below. Like the other side pieces, it is on legs. The tag on the furniture reads the Hathaway Furniture Company, 51 East 45th St., New York. My husband says it was manufactured in 1935 but I don't know how he came up with that as I can find no date.

Alan C. Ransdell, ISA AM, :

Hello, I believe that the company had a fire and all that I can see is that it was in operation from 1866-1924 it was actually a department store.

Alan C. Ransdell, ISA AM, :

I believe that the furniture came out of Michigan most furniture did at that time, Does the dining room table have have a Y stretcher support? And are the arms curved on the captains chair with two curved raised ends and the chairs with flat backs that look like door panels?

Alan C. Ransdell, ISA AM, :

Why are you seeking information on the set are you looking to sell the set? If so what city and state are you located in do not post your home address ok Thanks, Alan

Customer:

There is a "stretcher" connecting the four legs. It is close to the floor and is finished like the furniture. The captains chairs are open 1/3 of the way up and have spindle backs the last 2/3 and the arms are flat to the end which raises a little and is curved downward and and makes a good handhold when sitting. Are you able to receive photos? We are thinking of selling the set. We are near Vineland, NJ. Do you think it came out of Michigan even though the metal plates say New York? Thanks, Diane

Alan C. Ransdell, ISA AM, :

Hi Diane, yes it was made in Michigan and your Husband is right it is from the 1930's how are the seats in the chairs have they been upholstered?

Alan C. Ransdell, ISA AM, :

You can send me pictures yes that would be good first try one far off that includes all of the pieces OK thanks, Alan

Alan C. Ransdell, ISA AM, :

Because I am not allowed to share my email address, to upload pictures you have upload them directly to this chat box. To do this they have to be less than 1mb.

If they are under 1mb then you need to click the Silver paperclip button in the chat area. From there a small window will pop up. The first box will say “Image URL” Next to this box there is a small box that has a blue top along with red lines in it. You will want to click this box. Another window will then pop up. In this window you can attach the pictures. You will want the hit the “browse” button and then navigate to where you have the pictures saved on your computer, select “open” and it will attach to the image upload box. Next click “OK”. Next your picture’s URL should be shown in the “Image URL” box on the first pop up. Next click insert and you image is then inserted!. If you are having problems doing so because they are to large, then you will want to resize them. If you do not know how to do this using software on your computer then you should…

Visit Picresize. From the home screen, Click on "Browse". Then choose the image you want to upload. Now click “continue”. It might take a few minutes to upload. Once it does scroll down to “STEP 2” and in the "Resize" box, choose "Fit to screen: 800 resolution". Then Click "I’m Done" at the bottom. Next you’ll be given 4 different options. Just use “save to disk”, save it, and then upload it to the chat using the method above and I will get the pictures and be that much closer to identifying your item.

Thanks for your Question; I look forward to providing you with an informative answer!

Customer:

Full Size Image

Alan C. Ransdell, ISA AM, :

Hi Diane ,

I believe your furniture set is older and from the very early 1900- 1910 it is a mix of styles including Gothic and Baroque I estimate that at auction it would bring $1500- $1800

I have included an auction house that could handle the selling for you in your state that is reputable. Everyone is selling their Dining room furniture now, it is never used except for the some occasions during the Holidays I wish you the best of luck and thanks for the Photos. As for as where it came from let just say for auction purposes it is tagged N.Y. this will add more value to the description than Michigan will. Good luck with your downsize and its been a pleasure. Here is your auction house information.

Concepts I Auctions

1125 ARNOLD AVENUE

POINT PLEASANT, NJ 08742

732-892-6040

info@concepts1auction.com

DIRECTIONS

We are located on the Jersey shore in the scenic beach town of Point Pleasant. We're an hour south of New York City, fifty minutes north of Atlantic City and just two hours from the Delaware Water Gap.

* From NYC: Take the Holland or Lincoln Tunnel to the NJ Turnpike south to Exit 11 (the GARDEN STATE Parkway). Take the GARDEN STATE Parkway south to exit 98 (Point Pleasant) to 34 South to 35 South to Arnold Avenue. Right turn one mile on the right side at the corner of Arnold Avenue and Route 88.

* We will be having at least 2 lots of coins. Please check back closer to auction date for lists. Thanks.

* From PA or NY State: Follow the instructions in the paragraph above - from the GARDEN STATE Parkway...

* From Atlantic City and southern NJ: Take the GARDEN STATE Parkway north to exit 90 (Point Pleasant). Straight off exit. Left on Rte. 70 E (at traffic light) and follow signs to Point Pleasant (Rte. 88E). Left lane on the draw bridge (Arnold Ave). We are the 3rd bldg on the left across the street from a church.

Need More Information: Call(NNN) NNN-NNNN/strong>

I hope this answers your question! If you are satisfied with my answer, I would request that you please click the “ACCEPT” button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Although this is neither required nor expected, it is greatly appreciated. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications.

Thanks,

Alan R.

Experience: Hello, my name's Alan! I'm a 14 year Appraiser with AOA appraisers, ISA & IRS Qualified, and 5 year Certified & Licensed Insurance Adjuster with 30+ Years Collecting & Dealing.