Diane in PA
Diane in PA, Appraiser
Experience:  14 yrs. selling/researching antiques, art, books, jewelry +.
54343404

I have 2 prints by C.M. Coolidge printed by Brown & Bigelow

I have 2 prints by C.M. Coolidge printed by Brown & Bigelow and published by Edward Gross Co., Inc. they are names "Poker Sympathy" and "A Friend in Need". Could you tell me their value?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Diane in PA replied 3 years ago.

Collection Selecti&# :

Hello, and welcome to Just Answer! My name is Diane. I hope I will be able to help you discover more about your antique or collectible item today.

Can you please tell me the size of these? Thanks.

JACUSTOMER-slfmkcv0- :

They are around 14x18 framed

Collection Selecti&# :

Thanks. Sorry, but I need to know the size of the print itself, not including the frame. :-)

JACUSTOMER-slfmkcv0- :

My mom thinks that the print is 12x15

Collection Selecti&# :

tell me if it looks like this:

(brb)

Collection Selecti&# :

Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-slfmkcv0- :

That is the print, I am on phone with my mom as I am talking with you. She says that she can't tell because it is the same color as the picture in boy\ttom right hand corner

Collection Selecti&# :

OK, brb

Collection Selecti&# :

Full Size Image

Collection Selecti&# :

Apparently this guy Coolidge did his originals back in the early 1900's (1906). His art was so popular that of course everyone can't own one original painting, so they made prints. That way everyone could afford to have these dogs in their homes.

Collection Selecti&# :

I'm sure they've been printed time and again by different printers. I'm just seeing if I can find when Brown & Bigelow printed theirs. Does yours "look" old?

Collection Selecti&# :

They wouldn't happen to be signed in pencil, would they?

JACUSTOMER-slfmkcv0- :

Yes, they have been in the family for over 50 years.

Collection Selecti&# :

OK, great.

Collection Selecti&# :

Because B&B were the original publisher. Edward Gross? not sure what his name means here.

JACUSTOMER-slfmkcv0- :

The signature looks like is was wriitten with a gold pen.

Collection Selecti&# :

Is it at the lower left?

JACUSTOMER-slfmkcv0- :

Yes

Collection Selecti&# :

It is probably a faux signature that is printed on there from the printer.

JACUSTOMER-slfmkcv0- :

ok

JACUSTOMER-slfmkcv0- :

A Friend in need has the gold signature. Poker Sympathy signature almost blends in with the picture

Collection Selecti&# :

I'm still trying to research here. Having a bit of a hard time finding the B&B ones. There are tons of "new" repros out there, but yours probably have a little value to them - I'm thinking in the $200 to $300 range, but let me get back to you on that in a little while, ok?

JACUSTOMER-slfmkcv0- :

ok. I am going to Church and will check my emails when I return. Thanks

Collection Selecti&# :

Hmmmmm...not sure about that sig. I might have to get back with you as late as tomorrow night (I' m in PA - it is 5:45 here now). I need to cook dinner and eat and finally relax a bit on this Sunday, and tomorrow I have a couple of appointments to go see, but I'll be back online tomorrow morning for a little and tomorrow afternoon and tomorrow night. (I do appraisals P/T)

JACUSTOMER-slfmkcv0- :

I will check my email tomorrow afternoon and if nothing I will check again tomorrow night. I will not get home until around 8 pm est.

Collection Selecti&# :

And many times the things that people want me to find out are things they couldn't find, and it takes a lot of time to find things sometimes! lol

Collection Selecti&# :

OK, we're both on EST. Don't worry - don't rush. We'll get it done. :-)

JACUSTOMER-slfmkcv0- :

Thanks for your help. My mother was just wondering if they were worth anything. These hard economic times have her looking for ways to get a little extra cash.

Collection Selecti&# :

Just be sure to come back to your Just Answer account. They only send out one original email that your expert has replied, but once we start chatting their email notifications stop. OK?

Collection Selecti&# :

Oh, you should have some cash coming your way. I will also be looking in to where you could sell them, or what art dealer, etc. Where in the US are you? What is the nearest major city to you?

Collection Selecti&# :

Or rather, "she" should have some cash coming.

JACUSTOMER-slfmkcv0- :

I am located in Ringgold, GA. I am close to Chattanooga, TN. Also 2 hours away from Atlanta, GA.

Collection Selecti&# :

OK, thanks. That helps. Alright, gotta run now. Look for me tomorrow evening. :-)

Customer:

I have not accepted the answer as of yet, because the expert was doing some further research for me.

Customer:

I will check back tomorrow morning around 8 am.

Collection Selecti&# :

Hi. I apologize for being late. I have had a terrible toothache all day today!!! Still in pain.

Anyway, these "poker dogs" have been a favorite since they were first painted by Cassius Marcellus Coolidge in 1903. Advertising firm Brown & Bigelow commissioned Coolidge to produce 16 paintings depicting dogs performing many very human activities, chiefly playing poker.

In February, 2005 the original paintings; "A Bold Bluff" and "Waterloo" sold at auction for a record breaking $590,400. to a private collector.

You can read up on this artist here:

http://www.homepoker.com/dogs_playing_poker.asp

I feel safe to say that your prints would be valued between $400 - $2,000 dollars each ($2,000.00 is a "high retail" and/or for "insurance purposes"). High retail meaning if you contacted a WELL-KNOWN auctioneer who would advertise these like a month before they actually go to a "live" auction.

Or you could put them for auction on eBay (for 7 days) with a STARTING price of $399.99 with "excellent, clear, large photos" and place it in the proper category with good, strong "keywords" in the title (artist's FULL name, + "original" + "poker dogs" + "vintage" + "print" + title of print - you may have to pay a little extra for a "sub-title")) and write a clean, accurate description which would include size, condition, any history you know about it, etc. you SHOULD get a buyer for them AT $350 or more (EACH), if 2 or more people want to bid on these "ORIGINAL" prints within those 7 days. (or you could put both of them together in one auction starting the bidding at $700.00

If they are framed and you were to ship them, you need to charge enough money because you will need a much larger box with A LOT of good cushion so that they do not break in transit. Neither UPS or the post office will pay an insurance claim on art if it breaks because their policy for shipping art is it must be shipped w/o the glass. Glass in a different box.

Or...

you could put them on your local Craigslist - say $300 for the pair, and have someone pick them up in person. NEVER accept checks or money orders from Craigslist people, and NEVER ship something to Craigslist people. There are too many scammers. Only accept CASH payment in person!

Or....

You can contact Christie's of New York, a huge, live "Auction House" that specializes in auctioning off art. You should get better money going this route, but it might be a little harder to contact the right person, ship the items, wait for the auction date, etc.

http://www.christies.com/services/trusts-estates/#preliminary_appraisal

CONTACT PAGE: http://www.christies.com/about/help/contact/

++++++++++++++++

OR...

You can contact this guy, who I'm sure will be happy to buy them. (be sure to tell him that an appraiser told you not to accept any less than $300 each from a "dealer"). You can contact him here:

Robert Eisenstadt
140 Cadman Plaza West, #26-C, Brooklyn NY 11201

E-mail: chipe@ix.netcom.com

http://www.antiquegamblingchips.com/#collect

Collection Selecti&# :

++++++++++

Collection Selecti&# :

I've exhausted my research possibilities. I feel good knowing I searched diligently to come up with the results that I did/could.

I hope I have been both helpful and timely in answering your question. ;-)

Please click "Accept" if I have been of any assistance to you. I am only paid for my time and effort when you click the green "Accept" button. Feedback appreciated, bonuses welcomed. Thanks again. - Diane

Collection Selecti&# :

OOps, above when I said about putting them on Craigslist, I meant to say to ask $500 for the PAIR. (Craigslist is a place for local "deals" - not a site to sell stuff at retail prices.) So if your Mom wants "fast money", she can go this route.

Diane in PA, Appraiser
Experience: 14 yrs. selling/researching antiques, art, books, jewelry +.