Kim D., Certified Appraiser & Antiques Expert
Experience:  25 Yr Decorative & Fine Art, Historic Objects Expert, CAGA, AOA

"Moonlight over Capri" by Casati painting. What is it wor

Customer Question

"Moonlight over Capri" by Casati painting. What is it worth?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Kim D. replied 5 years ago.

Hello - I would be happy to help you with this. Would you have an image so I could assess the date and which Italian Casati this would be? Dori

TinyPic is a good place to upload photos. You do have to have the images saved on your computer, but you can upload photos without having to register or give them any information.

1) Go to
2) The first thing you'll see is an upload page.
3) Click on "Browse".
4) Choose the image you want to upload.
5) Make sure the file type chosen is "Image".
6) In the "Resize" box, choose either "Website/Email" or "Message Board".
7) Click "Upload Now".

You'll see a verification box pop up. Just type in the words it shows and click "upload now". It might take a few minutes to upload.

Once it does, you'll be given 4 different viewing options.

Just copy either the addresses in the "URL for E-Mail & IM" or "Direct Link for Layouts" and paste the link into the message box.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Just would like to know what value it is:

Expert:  Kim D. replied 5 years ago.

This is most definitely the 19th century Alexandre Casati whose work is slowly getting noticed by the highend art market. He comes up only rarely but his work is desirable and fetching around 1500.00 a canvas. He seems to be French in some auctions and said to have lived in Italy. This one with a period frame and his highly skilled hand at skys and waterscapes would have a value in the range of 1700.00 - 2000.00 as the last one I saw sold in 1991 and was unframed. His work will definitely increase in value as time goes on due to its quality.

Best wishes, Dori

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

How would I sell this painting for that amount or something close to that? Could you direct me to someone that would be interested in the Texas market?

Expert:  Kim D. replied 5 years ago.

Alexandre Casati work has been sold in Germany, France and the US in the last few years. Sothebys and Christies show his sales in the 1990's however if you are interested in a Texas market there are a few good art auction houses in that region. Heritage Auctions is one the the finest and largest auction houses of antiques and they do sell art. While Dallas Auctions is also another option for fine art sales. Their websites are found at the following links. If the links do not work, please go directly to their sites for their contact information.

I hope this helps.