Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
53729464

the value of 1868 showers furniture (Armoire) one hung clothing/

Customer Question

the value of 1868 showers furniture (Armoire) one hung clothing/ 4 adjustable drawers
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
HOw long is going to take to get my ANSWER?
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello

Sorry this took so long, things have been really busy. Do you mean a waterfall Armoire? And can you possibly send pictures of this piece , it would help identify the maker and value of it. here are instructions for sending several ways, be sure it is uploaded to your computer, in jpeg form, no larger then 1 mb. When you upload the picture you will be able to see it in this message box before you send it to me. If all else fails you can upload to your face book page and send me the link to the photo page here.

Glenda

1.

You can send a photo to me , in this message box, you will see at the top the little paper clip, click on that.

then click on browse, another box will open up

then click on browse in that box, this will take you to your photos on your computer,

you click on the one you want to send , then click on the picture ,

then click open, this will put it in the second box you opened,

then click ok, then you are back to the first box click on insert.

The picture will show up in the message area before you send it to me, you should be able to see it.

2

TinyPic is a good place to upload photos. You do have to have the images saved on your computer, but you can upload photos without having to register or give them any information.

1) Go to www.tinypic.com
2) The first thing you'll see is an upload page.
3) Click on "Browse".
4) Choose the image you want to upload.
5) Make sure the file type chosen is "Image".
6) In the "Resize" box, choose either "Website/Email" or "Message Board".
7) Click "Upload Now".

You'll see a verification box pop up. Just type in the words it shows and click "upload now". It might take a few minutes to upload.

Once it does, you'll be given 4 different viewing options.

Just copy either the addresses in the "URL for E-Mail & IM" or "Direct Link for Layouts" and paste the link into the message box.

3

Go to a free file hosting website such as Photobucket.com, Snapfish.com, Flickr.com and click on the Upload button. Then navigate to your file and select it, and click the Start Upload button. When the uploading has completed you will be given a link to download the file. Copy the link and paste it in your question, and the Experts will be able to click on the link to download the file.

??

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

HI GLENDA!

I'm veery bad with the computer. i will need someone to help me with the pictures unless there is a way I can mail them tro you.

Thank you

Elba

Expert:  Glenda B. replied 3 years ago.

Elba

From what I am finding , the armoires made by the Showers Furniture Company, has been selling for from 1850.00 up to as much as 2250.00. Depending on where it is for sale at. An Antique Shop typically gets higher prices then say a flea market or auction. If you are thinking of selling, I would check with your local Antique Shops in the area to see what yours or one like it would sell for or has sold for. This will give you an idea of what it goes for in your area, then you can decide to sell locally or at one of the online markets.

I am enclosing a little history of the company for you, I thought you might like reading about the company.

If I can be of any further help, please feel free contacting me.

Please click accept if I have been of any help to you, (with no further

expense to you)

"Our pay comes out of the deposit or membership you already paid."

We are only paid by Just Answer after you click accept. Otherwise we are not

compensated for our time.

Thank you, have a Great day.

Glenda

Little History for you:

In 1868, William and James Showers bought out their father's interest in a Bloomington cabinetmaking business for $300. From this humble beginning, the Showers Brothers Company would grow to the point that in the 1920s, it produced 60 percent of the furniture manufactured in the U.S., claiming distinction as "The World's Largest Furniture Factory."

History

Pre-1884: Humble Beginnings

Little is known about the origins of the Showers family business. Charles Showers, a preacher and cabinetmaker, came to Bloomington sometime in the mid 1850s. He opened a furniture and coffin-making shop on the Bloomington downtown square shortly afterwards. At some point, Charles' sons, William and James, bought out their father's interest in the business for $300 and moved the business to a new store on Ninth and Grant Streets when neighbors complained about the noise from the shop. During the civil war, the company made coffins for war casualties.

The two were later joined by their third brother, Charles Jr., as they slowly built their business around the production of quality oak furniture. In 1884, a fire swept through Grant Street and destroyed the brothers' business. The furniture shop had become so important to the Bloomington economy that the city financed almost half of the cost of a new factory on Morton Street.

1884-1920s: "Center of the Universe"

Once at the new Showers Brothers Building on Morton Street, Showers Brothers Furniture grew at a a rapid pace. They were one of the first Bloomington businesses to switch from steam power to electricity, and invented (and named) the process of laminating. The new factory produced everything from raw materials, rather than relying on suppliers. Their slogan was "From the Tree to the Trade." Although the factory averaged about 800 employees, its peak employment during the 1920s was 1,200 workers.

When the US census was conducted in 1910, the US government pinpointed the exact location where there was an equal number of people living north, south east and west at the front door of the Showers Brothers Building. The company capitalized on this free publicity and declared themselves to be the center of the universe. They installed a marker at the exact location. When the Showers Brothers Building closed down in 1955, the city moved the marker to the Monroe County Courthouse lawn.

By the mid 1920s, Showers Brothers Furniture Company was at its peak. Paying one-fourth of all the tax revenue in Bloomington, it produced 16 train-car loads of furniture a day to be shipped out across the world. The Sears Catalogue featured Showers Brothers Furniture, which helped fuel the worldwide demand. Many at the time claimed that Showers Brother Furniture was "the largest furniture factory in the world." By some accounts, that claim should only be extended to juvenile, or bedroom, furniture.

1930s -1958: Depression, Expansion and Bust

With the onset of the Great Depression, Showers Brothers Furniture continued to expand. They were awarded a contract to produce furniture for the US Army during World War II. During the same period, the furniture industry moved south, capitalizing on cheap labor. There was also a movement to trucking as the preferred shipping method that Showers Brothers Furniture didn't adopt. When they failed to invest in updated equipment, Showers Brothers Furniture found it difficult to compete in the new economy. Ultimately, they sold their assets to the Stork Line Furniture Company of Chicago. Stork Line continued to operate the factory for three years until they closed shop in 1958. The factory was sold to Indiana University and most of it was destroyed in a 1969 fire. The only survivor was Factory Number 1, which was used for storage until Indiana University, CFC and the City of Bloomington