Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry

How much would VP Richard Nixons 1955 signature be worth t

How much would VP Richard Nixons 1955 signature be worth today?

Hello, and thank you for your question.

Please tell me what it is that you have that is autographed.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It is a hardback letter given to my dad from Nixon stating "On behalf of the president I want to let you know we appreciate your interest in the program to combat juvenile delinquency etc. "

It is 3 paragraphs if you want it all.

Thank you for the added info.

Unlike with other Presidents, the letters by Nixon that are of the period after his terms in office are considered more valuable, by and large. This is, of course, because of the sentiment that has existed (up to this point) about him and his presidency; especially as it relates to Watergate and his subsequent resignation. Pieces of the period prior to his time as President are viewed similarly in the world of collecting (again, thus far) and would be included within this "general" rule in terms of valuation. Of course, many factors contribute to the value such items; not the least of which would be subject matter and to whom the items are addressed.

If your letter is typed, in excellent physical condition, because of the subject matter which relates directly to a policy issue, it would have an estimated retail value in today's market of $600-$800. If it is hand-written, it would be three to four times that estimate.

I hope this has been of help to you and has answered your question. (Please, remember to click ACCEPT if so, as this is the only means by which I am compensated for my service here.)

Thank you, again.

All the best,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
<p>Thank you for the information, very informative. I would like to sell it but I do not know where to try. Can you give me a place or procedure.</p><p> </p><p>Thanks Sue</p>
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for the information, very informative. I would like to sell it but I do not know where to try. Can you give me a place or procedure.

Thanks Sue

Hello, again. Thank you for your patience; I was offline until now.

If you live in or near a large city, you may be fortunate to have a fine, reputable auction house nearby. There, you could consign your piece at a sale which the staff would deem appropriate for your item. Similarly, you could use an online auction service such as ebay. There is a very good house in Dallas that does both brick and mortar sales and online sales called, Heritage Galleries ( They may be willing to consign your item or even buy it outright. To be clear, because your item is small and light in weight, you wouldn't necessarily be limited by geography and could secure the services of a fine auction house anywhere as long as they were willing to consign it and utilize the mailing system to do so. On the West Coast, there is Bonhams(NNN) NNN-NNNN and in Boston you could contact Skinner(NNN) NNN-NNNN. The key, moreover, is having it in a sale where collectors of that type of material are drawn by, perhaps, many similar items being offered as a "theme." This expands the audience and creates competition, which of course tends to drive up prices.

Hoping this has helped further,