Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

I have a Holmes & Edwards Inlaid Silverplate Complete Dinner

I have a Holmes & Edwards Inlaid Silverplate Complete Dinner Set for 8
May Queen Style circa 1950's
Original Wood Chest
48 pieces plus 2 serving spoons and 1 butter knife
great condition
I would like to sell them
Where should I sell them and for how much
Your set sounds quite lovely. I will research and get back to you shortly.

Kind regards,

Welcome to JA.

My research indicates the following:

The Holmes and Edwards Co was founded in Bridgeport, CT, in 1882. Circa 1888-90, Edwards obtained the rights to a very new process of silver plating that involved inlaying blocks of sterling silver at the wear points on the backs of spoons and forks prior to plating them. Holmes and Edwards earned a prominent place in the plated silver industry using this process for many years. The International Silver Co took over Holmes & Edwards in 1898. In 1956 the Holmes & Edwards trademark "Silver-Inlaid" was changed to "Holmes & Edwards Deepsilver."

This history is important in learning what you have and its dating.

Your pattern, May Queen, was introduced in 1951. So using the above historical info, we can date your set as having been produced between 1951-1956. Your set is a fine plated silver set of flatware. Unfortunately, plated goods have not increased in value at the same rate as sterling goods. Please do not "kill the messenger" as I am quoting current prices that are directly from prominent dealers.

Your pattern should look like the following. If not, let me know.

Advice on selling:
1.Ebay offers the best avenue for selling in the next two weeks as this is the time to sell for max value online. You may need pay fees for bell and whistle attention getters if you are not a regular ebay seller.
2. Your local - no fees charged
3, Consignment to a local dealer (hefty commissions are a negative)
4. Ad in news publications - local newspaper, trade journals such as Maine Antiques Digest.
5. or

Estimated current retail values are quoted by piece which the way experienced silver dealers will need to do a little math for the total value of the set....:

Dinner fork - $14
Dinner knife -$10
Salad fork -$10
Teaspoon -$6
Soup spoon -$8
Iced teaspoon - $8
Pastry fork - $16
Serving spoon -$16
Master Butter knife -$6

Original wood box -$125-140

I hope this helps you.

If I have answered your questions, please click the ACCEPT button as this is the only way JA pays me for my work.

Positive feedback is always appreciated.

Kind regards,