Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

I have a silver plated serving tray with the markings; Crown

I have a silver plated serving tray with the markings; Crown (stamp) followed by the letters S, B, E, P , Can you help?
I really need to see a photo of this mark to research with accuracy.

Still, this mark as described has been researched by many on the internet with varying answers resulting.

This is mine -
There is no record of this mark as you describe it in any major reference book that I can find.

There is a slim possibility that it is the mark for ElectroPlated silver used by the Slack Bros of Sheffield England. but I find no record confirming that.

Can you send a photo of the marks?

Edited by dfm925 on 11/15/2010 at 5:02 AM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Sure, I'll photograph the stamp as best as I can and send it to you this morning.

That would be great!
Insert in your JA REPLY message to me using the little green tree icon at the top of the REPLY message.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Your photo did not come through. The JA system of sending photos is a bit tricky.

Click the green tree icon.
Select the Browse button.
Locate the address of your photo on your computer
Click to select this photo address (it should appear in the bar next to the Browse button)
Click the Insert button on the bottom left.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Does your mark look like the one below? Unfortunately, your photo was too blurry for my computer.

If your mark is the same as the one I just sent, then I have your answer...
It is actually SGEP in the sometimes hard to read Old Engish lettering. The mark is an early one for the American company formed by Sol Goldfeder in 1932. The letters stand for Sol Goldfeder ElectroPlated Silver. The exact same distinctive crown was used in later marks for this company.
The company was succeeded by the Birmingham Silver Co of Yalesville CT and New York.

I hope this helps you. This mark has been a "bear' for many researchers as I discovered in my research. The style of the crown is at first misleading because it appears European. Once I realized it was not, I turned to my American sources of marks.

If I have answered your question, click the ACCEPT button.

Positive feedback is always appreciated.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Doris, that's it! Your a jem. Any thought as to a value range.

The estimated retail value range would be $200-300 depending on size.

Please remember the ACCEPT button.

Thank you. You have been a pleasure to work with on this research.