GeekGal
GeekGal, Electronics Support Tech
Experience:  MIS degree and 15+ years experience supporting electronics of all kinds
76665483

I have trouble sending a text response. Goes to ballon, etc.

Customer Question

I have trouble sending a text response. Goes to ballon, etc. how do I send it?
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: Checking. Where in settings do I find the model number? It's a 6, several years old.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Especially since 10 went into effect. I've tried things on my own. Tried to get appointment with a genius at a store but can't get thru. Also I can no longer turn my flashlight on. Many things.
JA: Anything else you want the phone expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Start with texts, flashlight and removing things in running in background.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  GeekGal replied 13 days ago.

Hi there! My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows computers, software, phones, tablets, e-readers, and printers. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this.

I too have had this problem recently on my Apple iPhone 6plus since the latest updates to the IOS. It's quite annoying. What seems to be happening is this: The latest version of IOS allows you to send to text messages with effects. You can view a detailed explanation of this here:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/10/04/how-to-send-messages-on-your-iphone-with-fireworks-balloons-and-other-screen-flair-in-apples-ios-10

The problem (for me at least) is that even when I just want to send a regular message, all too often the screen for the text message effects appears. I have found that I can cancel the Screen Effect by hitting the X button bellow the send button. Usually I am then able to send my message normally, but sometimes it takes several tries.

Theoretically, you access Messaging Effects by using a long press when you are trying to send a message. A regular press will theoretically send the message normally. Notice my use of the word theoretically. Maybe my phone is very sensitive or maybe I just have a heavy touch but there seems to be little difference to me between a REGULAR press and a LONG press.

If this is as annoying for you as it is for me, you can turn the Message Effects off with these steps:

1. Open the “Settings” app and go to “Accessibility” and then to “Reduce Motion”
  2. Turn the Reduce Motion setting to OFF and then exit out of settings

The Reduce Motion setting in iOS, which does away with the zipping and zooming animations that fly around the operating system when opening and closing apps, is also the only way to turn off iMessage effects.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 13 days ago.

Hopefully, that information will be helpful to you in resolving the messages issue. Regarding the flashlight, From anywhere in iOS 10 (including the main lock screen), swipe up from the bottom of the iPhone to bring up Control Center. You will find the flashlight icon on the bottom left corner of the Control center.

The best way to see all open apps is to double click HOME button until you see multiple screens depicting the apps that are currently running. Slide your finger on each card middle of screen upward up to edge of screen to force close each open app individually.

Here's a link with great information about managing apps that run in the background.

http://www.imore.com/how-to-manage-background-app-refresh-iphone-ipad

Expert:  GeekGal replied 13 days ago.

Please give this a try and let me know the results. If this resolves your problem, would you mind taking a moment to rate my service? I'd really appreciate it! You can give your rating by selecting the stars located on the top right of the question page and then clicking on submit. If you need more help, please let me know. I am committed to working with you until your problem has been resolved. Your complete satisfaction is my goal! Thank you!

Expert:  GeekGal replied 13 days ago.

.