derrickonline
derrickonline, Info. Tech. Mgr.
Experience:  Extensive experience with Android tablets, and phones.
22792886

My Echo Dot will connect to both of my networks and then

Customer Question

my Echo Dot will connect to both of my networks and then drop the connection in a random number of minutes. My router is an ASUS RT-AC1900 and I have fiberoptic cable to my home so there is plenty of bandwidth Can you tell me how to make it stay connected? Josh Logan
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: Echo Dot (2nd Generation)
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: It has been going on since brand new. this is the second device Amazon has sent me. They said the first was defective
JA: Anything else you want the Android expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  derrickonline replied 5 months ago.

I'd be more than happy to assist you. I'm going to go out on a limb and make the assumption that you have some technology experience. I say that because you have a great router, and you're interested in the Echo dot, if my assumption is incorrect please let me know and I will break down my instructions into greater detail.

Your ASUS router supports 2.4GHz and 5GHz. I suspect you're connecting to the 2.4GHz frequency using the Echo which typically is the safe route. However I suggest trying to switch the Dots over to the 5GHz frequency and see if you have better luck.

Is your wireless being broadcast as one SSID for both 2.4 and 5GHZ? Or do you have something like...

SSID: BobsNetwork2.4

BobsNetwork5

If so you want the 5. If not, we can setup your router to broadcast the two frequencies separately to achieve this. Then I would connect the dots to the 5GHz frequency and see if that resolves your issue.