ITPeter
ITPeter, Engineer
Experience:  Electronic Engineer
30970729

My son gave me a Kindle Fire for my Birthday and I cannot

Customer Question

My son gave me a Kindle Fire for my Birthday and I cannot get on the internet. I have called my internet provider and they referred me to Amanzon
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: He just bought it in December. Where do I find the make and model. It just shows a kindle fire
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I have not been able to get connected to the internet at all. My son tried unplugging everything and started over. I just started with Fairpoint which she tried having me shut everything down and starting over but nothing changed
JA: Anything else you want the eReader expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no I guess not
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  ITPeter replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  ITPeter replied 3 months ago.

First, check that:

• Other devices in your home can connect to your network. If they can't connect, you may need to contact your Internet service provider for additional help.
  • Airplane Mode is off. To check, swipe down from the top of the screen and tap Wireless. If Airplane Mode is On, tap Off to enable wireless connectivity.
  • You know your Wi-Fi password. Check this on your router.
  • Your device is on the latest software version. You can install the latest software version wirelessly if you're able to connect to a more stable network elsewhere or download and transfer the software update to your device via USB.

Then:

1. Restart your Wi-Fi connection on your device. Swipe down from the top of the screen and tap Wireless and then tap Wi-Fi. Next to Wi-Fi, tap Off. After you turn off your Wi-Fi connection, tap On to turn it on again.
  2. Restart your device. Press and hold the Power button for 40 seconds or until the device restarts automatically. If your device restarts automatically before 40 seconds has passed, release the Power button. If your device does not automatically restart after 40 seconds, press the Power button to turn it on.
  3. Move closer to your router. From your device, check if you can connect to your Wi-Fi network. If your network doesn't appear in the list, tap Scan from the Wi-Fi menu. If you still don't see your preferred network, you can add it manually to your device. To learn more, go to Add a Wi-Fi Network Manually.
  4. Use Channel 1-11. Check that your wireless router is set to use a Wi-Fi channel from 1 to 11. Please refer to your Internet service provider, if they provided your wireless router or the router manufacturer, for additional help.
  5. Restart your router and modem. Unplug your modem and router, wait a full 30 seconds and then plug the modem in. After your modem turns on, plug in your router and wait for it to turn on.

Let me know if that works?

--------------------
Happy New Year!
Your satisfaction is my priority;
Kindly take a moment to rate my service 5 stars and press submit at the top of your question page so I am rewarded for my time; tips appreciated :)
You can always reply back at any time if you need any further assistance at all.
Pete.
--------------------

Expert:  ITPeter replied 3 months ago.

Hi, just checking in on your question. If the issue is resolved or you do not need anymore help, please rate our session as 4 stars or more and press submit so I am credited for my time, otherwise please reply back so we can continue with the issue.