Richard, Android Specialist
Experience:  Android Systems Specialist
32989067

I need to convert my Kindle Fire HD 8.9 to an open Android

Customer Question

I need to convert my Kindle Fire HD 8.9 to an open Android platform. Can you help?
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: It was purchased in 2011.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: There is nothing wrong with the Kindle, I just want to upgrade it to Android 4+ in order to take advantage of Google Apps.
JA: Anything else you want the eReader expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

Android is a customized operating system for each device, so there are different releases as it needs to work with the hardware. Providers of the hardware do this.

Amazon have their own version, you cannot install for example, Android designed for a samsung phone to the Tablet, so you are stuck with the version you have.

But what you can do is side load apps for Google

To so this, first go to Settings, applications and make sure Apps from unknown sources is turned on

Then download this file onto it

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B6pQCizpnzoEZE0xeDFqWXlBY0E

Then install the App ES File Explorer on the Kindle to be able to open the file you just downloaded

Use the Fire tablet’s Docs app to locate the downloaded apk app files to install them. Generally the default location is Docs > Local Storage > Download if you used the web browser to download the files above.

The Google apps must to be installed in the following order to work:

Google Services Framework
Google Play Services
Google Account Manager
Google Play Store
Once that’s finished you can open the Play Store and sign in to your Google account.

Step #4: Update and Restart

After you open the Play Store for the first time you need to install the YouTube app and then open it. This will prompt the Play Store services to update to the latest version, an important last step. Once the update is installed (it takes awhile), power off and restart your Fire tablet.

Now the Google Play Store app should be good to go

If you have any problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can you walk me through the process over the phone?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

ok, but it is an additional cost, I have made the proposal for this as it is quite some time.