Answers by Eric
Answers by Eric, Developer
Experience:  Award winning Android Developer & part of the Cyanogen Development Team

My phone is freezing on the logo screen then shutting off. I

Customer Question

My phone is freezing on the logo screen then shutting off. I do not want to do a factory reset because I need pictures that are on there :(
JA: How old is the phone?
Customer: Less than a year old. I bought it last December
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Yesterday. It got hot suddenly and froze. I took battery out to allow cooling and reset. I've let it sit overnight, off, and when I turn it back on, it freezes at logo screen then shuts off
JA: Anything else you want the Android expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Randy Boman replied 28 days ago.

Hi, I'm Randy. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

What is the model of the phone?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.

okay, thank you. Follow these steps please>

1. From the USB port (located on the bottom edge), gently lift then remove the battery cover.
  2. From the notch in lower edge of the battery compartment, lift then remove the battery.
    Then reInsert the Battery.
  3. Align the battery cover then gently press to snap the cover into place
  4. Then press and hold the Power button (located on the back) until the Phone powers on and continue to hold until the options screen appears then release.
  5. From the Phone options screen, tap Power off and restart.
  6. From the Power off and restart prompt, tap OK to confirm.
    Allow several minutes for the process to complete.
  7. Let me know if this works please.
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Nothing happens after I do that. It's the same thing, logo screen frozen then it just shuts off. No options screen. Do you think it would it help if I left the battery out for a day or two?

No, unfortunately this sounds like the firmware has corrupted. If that is the case the data on the internal memory is already lost. The only data that will be saved is on the google back up and sd card. The only option at this point will be a factory restore.

Do you want to try the restore?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I'm more interested in my pictures coming back and hoping for a miracle!! Why/how would this corruption happen? I do know my memory space was very low; that's why I bought a memory stick to back up my photos but then it suddenly stopped working.

that is usually what causes the issue, it requires a certain amount of memory to operate properly and when it gets overloaded the firmware sometimes gets glitched.

Expert:  Randy Boman replied 22 days ago.

Did that work for you?