Answers by Eric
Answers by Eric, Developer
Experience:  Award winning Android Developer & part of the Cyanogen Development Team
57442719

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 from u.s. cellular. It simply

Customer Question

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 from u.s. cellular. It simply stopped working once in awhile coming on. It has no service to it right now. They simply replaced it rather than bother with it. It has been in my drawer for probably a year. Yesterday I took it up and started looking. Add it it turned on fine and stayed on until a little message turned on in the upper left-hand Corner saying set bit warranty. This is a brand new phone basically. How can iFixit
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

That is a kernel error. It might be fixable... in a few minutes I'll offer further assessment of this matter, after I look up a solution or two about it...

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello Russell
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks. Just tell me what to do and I will do my best to follow your advice

Here's something to try:

Hold down these buttons:

VOLUME DOWN and then also while holding that down, the

HOME button, and then holding both down, also hold down the

POWER button.

At which point you might be offered to download a custom OS. This means a firmware refresh of your Galaxy device.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm fine texting. I have tried this with all three buttons but did not know what to do once the menu came up
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I shall do it again and perhaps you can advise me

Press the VOLUME UP button, and let it download a new kernel for the OS in the Samsung device. That may be all the cure it needs. Try it.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I was able to find online some information. Was told to remove battery and reinserted before pressing buttons

Right. That will reset the device, though if it has a kernel corruption and needs this kernel refresh procedure, it will still bring up the same 'set warranty bit' or similar message at the top.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Since I lost you there for a while it's probably better that we talk

I am not lost.

(I regret that I am not able to offer Live Phone Call service at this time; However, your request is still open to other Experts in this category, and one of them may pick up on it at any time.)

Thanks... try what I suggested so far. If you need it all together as one instructions set rather than chopped up into my last few posts, I understand and will provide it all at once over again.