p0llinate
p0llinate, Engineer
Experience:  Android phone and tablet expert
59725966

My kindle has a screen saying your battery is empty. I have

Customer Question

my kindle has a screen saying your battery is empty. I have charged it but no change. What can I do?
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  p0llinate replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

This symptom can indicate several possible issues: an internal hardware failure, a low/faulty battery, or just a simple memory/firmware glitch.

The first step here will be to attempt to reboot the kindle. This is done by pressing/sliding and holding the power button for 20+ seconds, or until the screen flashes (usually with an image of a tree), then release. Give the kindle about a minute to start back up, and let me know if the problem persists, we can then try some further steps.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No change no tree appeared

You may need to repeat the process 4-5 times for it to take effect.

If the kindle still isn’t working properly, the next step will be a deeper level reset. Plug the kindle into computer via usb cable, leave it there for a few hours to charge via the computer, then press and hold power button for 60+ seconds, and release. The kindle will take 3-5 minutes to reload it's internal firmware. If it doesn't turn back on by itself, press power once to turn it on.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The suggestions for activating my kindle did not work. Any more steps?

You did the computer based charging and reset as well?
Which model kindle do you have?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My kindle will not come on even after I tried things suggested! Any more!? I tried to get on line on Amazonkindlensnd no help there.

Joyce, which model kindle do you have, and for how long have you had it?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It says on front amazonkindle and I have had it over 5 years

Thank you for the information.

Based on age alone, the kindle is past its service life, and all symptoms here after attempting these resets would confirm a hardware fault, at minimum a bad battery, which would have to be replaced.

It can be fixed, but for a kindle this age is not going to be practical to do so. It is about $40 for a kit to buy a new battery, if you are comfortable taking the kindle apart to replace it yourself, if taking it to a repair shops, it will be twice that. You can buy a brand new and updated model with a fresh warranty for as little as $50: http://amzn.to/2c90dxH

If you prefer to repair, I can help you with finding the proper battery, but I would recommend replacing it at this point.

When you receive your replacement kindle, once it is registered and connected to wifi, all of your existing books/purchases will sync to the new kindle, so you won’t lose any of the content you’ve previously purchased.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok i think I will replace it

That would be my recommendation as well, Joyce.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service using the stars at the top of the page; hopefully I have earned 5 Stars. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Expert:  p0llinate replied 2 months ago.

Do you need more help with this, Joyce?