Richard, Android Specialist
Experience:  Android Systems Specialist

I am reading on the site something similar to what my tablet

Customer Question

Hi, I am reading on the site something similar to what my tablet is doing, I heard that Asus for some reason tries to grab an IP address from another device, which causes it to constantly seek a connection. I am not a whiz on networking, I read that if you set the tablet as a static IP, that it will fix the problem. But I don't know what IP to put in there, and I can't find the place in settings to make it static..
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: It's a Transformer, It's about hmm, 4 years old. We didn't have this problem until I ended up with my nephew moving in and our Wi Fi is constantly in use.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: It's been going on now for about 3 months. I have rebooted our router several times, I have called our Internet provider thinking it was bandwidth and I am now pretty loaded with Bandwidth. I have gone into my WiFi setup with my laptop and tried to see what I could do there but it wasn't obvious.
JA: Anything else you want the Android expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, that's it.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Hi there and welcome

No that's not correct with the IP, the router gives out the IP's and it will only give out unused ones.

If the issue is with your Nephew moving in then it is possible he is taking up all the bandwidth with mass downloading of games, movies ect.

If you switch all his equipment off, do you still have the issue?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will have to try that, but I called my IP folks and they didn't see much of a problem on their end, and I doubled my bandwidth anyway but he still has the problem. No other device in the house has the issue.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Has he restarted the Acer? By holding the power and choosing power off?

And please note, internal bandwidth is different to your internet speed.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It always seems to fix it, for a while, when we reboot the router.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will check on the internal bandwidth first and get back to you. Yes, we have rebooted it several times. I will get back if we can't figure it out with all the devices around. Thanks.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

No problem, the tablet might even need a factory reset as it can be the firmware at fault.

I will mark this question to remain open so no time limit on this.

If you have any issues would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And please take a second to rate my service for now by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit

Thank you