Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I am using google translate to translate English to Thai. I

Customer Question

I am using google translate to translate English to Thai. I cannot get a male voice to work. It is always female, which in Thai is important
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: I have tried general language settings and have scoured the app for an option, but cannot find one that works.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: None
JA: The Android expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: No
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Russell H. replied 5 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

It may perhaps be that the Thai voice has to be female - if they did not record (or transcribe digitally, etc.) a male speaking the Thai language.

But try going into

- Settings

Language & input

Text-to-speech output

and tap on the Settings icon next to

"Google text-to-speech engine"

then, under installing voice data, select male voice instead of female voice.

If there is not Google Voice male Thai voice available, then you may possibly be able to find another translator that will translate to Thai in a male voice... let me know if that is what you need help with, and I will search for such an alternative.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. - A five-star rating would be appreciated!

( If you need more info, or have any comments, you may use the Reply To Expert to respond. )

Thanks.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No. I had already done this. I downloaded and installed the Thai Voice Data set. There are three different male voices available, but no matter which I select, I get the same female voice for output when I press the speaker button.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
In Thai, pronunciations are different (and sometimes whole words are different) depending on whether the speaker is a male or a female, so this is important to me.

I see.

I suggest that to get the full gamut of Thai voice selections that are possible, you may need to remove the current install of Google Voice completely

then restart your device as follows:

1. shut it down.

2. wait 5 or more minutes.

3. start it up afresh.

then install Google Voice with a male voice as the default, and perhaps also in Thai as the language chosen. This is something of a guess, but might help with the selections for male voice in Thai actually showing up.

Alternatively, just try changing the voice selection to Thai-Male (as it were), then restart your device after saving those changes, without trying them out. The restart may perhaps joggle the change in setting into place and get it activated.

Try these two possible routes to a solution (and perhaps I should have mentioned the second one first, since it is shorter to try first.) Then let me know how it goes, please.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Option 2 didn't work. Trying Option 1
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
When you say remove Google Voice completely, you mean the Google Translate app, right?

OK. I hope the more elaborated approach works.

And yes, the whole app that runs the Translate function. If that means *all* Google apps, so be it, but I doubt that's needed.