Josh, Technician
Experience:  Android technician
50836188

I was on vacation and took some videos and pictures. During

Customer Question

Hi I was on vacation and took some videos and pictures. During my stay these videos and pictures (only those made on vacation) I now have in place of these "Black placholders of 4K each where these pictures/were...Funny....
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: Funny it only erased those pictures/video from a two day time frame. It started when I was at the COMIC CON Convention in San Diego..
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I have tried a couple of apps to restore what pictures were missing. I just got these Black picture place holders of 4K per picture.. The names of these have a double ending i.e. -img2087.jpg.jpg...
JA: The Android expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: Not sure, I think that my adroid phone was attacked while attending the Comic convention..not sure though...
JA: How old is the phone?
Customer: Samsung a3 model 2015. I have the phone for two months from a contract provider(new). The settings are that all my pictures go directly to the SD card on Phone
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  ITPeter replied 3 months ago.

My name is***** will try my best to help you with your question.

Try transferring one of the pictures to a computer and rename it to have just one ending - .jpg

Then try viewing it on the computer.

Try viewing it with some different apps on the computer.

Let me know if you can successfully view it there...

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Pete,
I removed the SD card and tried to read the pictures on my computer. No avail.
Expert:  ITPeter replied 3 months ago.

What file size are the affected pictures?

If you take some new photos on the phone now, can you view them ok?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Pete,
Not sure of the size of the orginals. I have just Black icons of 4k for each of the 36 pictures. The pictures now I can see the pictures that I take. I must say that I lost a few more pictures for no reason that I know off..Could it be that they are landing
in Cloud without my knowledge?? I don't have my account activated or synced..
Expert:  ITPeter replied 3 months ago.

If the account is not activated or synced then the pictures will not go to the Cloud.

However you could try logging in to your Cloud account to check, just in case.

When you say you "lost" pictures, do you mean they disappeared completely from the phone, or they turned black?

Are the black pictures only 4kb in size? If so, that is extremely small and those files will contain no image.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I think the black icons are too small for pictures. However they are named for example -img2067.jpg.jpg and are date stamped on the day that the orginals where taken. They were there to view but one or two days later they weregone...like the Wizard of OZ.
Expert:  ITPeter replied 3 months ago.

Let me check with the other techs if they have any idea what is going on here...

Expert:  Josh replied 3 months ago.

Hi!

Can I connect to your computer to view the images and see if I can fix it for you?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  Josh replied 3 months ago.

Great! I am sending you the remote assistance offer now.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
sorry I am not interested in any more Offers.
Expert:  Josh replied 3 months ago.

Okay, thank you.