Richard, Android Specialist
Experience:  Android Systems Specialist
32989067

Is there any way to recover missing files from an HTC One M9

Customer Question

Is there any way to recover missing files from an HTC One M9 running marshmallow 6.0 without rooting?
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: A few days ago, I added a new sd card to my phone, and transferred my media files. when the transfer was done, the sd card was corrupted and all my media files were no longer on my phone
JA: How old is the phone?
Customer: 1 year
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: removed the sd card, recovered any viable data from it and repaired the card. Ive run about a dozen media recovery tools, but they wont recognize the internal phone memory
JA: The Android expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: nope
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

There may be no way to... but the SD card is probably the best target for recovery efforts.

'Corrupted' - how? with what symptoms?

Turn your phone Off and leave it Off, ASAP. The less it is on, the less what is possibly remnant in memory will be overwritten or corrupted.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I was able to remove the memory card and using recovery software, I was able to recover about 30 video files. The phone was unable to read it and the computer as well till I ran chkdisk. If I flash my phone and root it, is there a remote possibility that some of the files could be recovered?

Good to hear that - it is what I would have recommended, more or less.

As for the phone... flash and root may overwrite some stuff that's still in memory. It might be surer to hook it up to a computer, and run recovery-from-memory utility software on it, designed specifically for that task. Less likelihood of it all being overwritten.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have been unable to find a media recovery program that will recognize the phone's internal memory, and there's no option to enable the drive as a mass storage device. Any way around either problem?

I admit I cannot think of one. Try (if you think it were worth the money) a Data Recovery company, but make sure if you do, that you

1. request an estimate of the charge/price, before you commit to the service at all, and

2. make sure that they do this sort of recovery, out of volatile memory in the HTC phone. I would be skeptical of anything less than assurance of that on the website *before* even contacting them and asking them.

I have Opted Out, wishing you luck, and opening the case up in case another Expert has more to suggest.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

When you connect the phone to the computer, is it showing as a drive?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No, it is not given a drive letter
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

ok, you mentioned the SD card has the issue, but you also referred to the internal memory.

Can you tell me please which one has the corrupted data on it your trying to recover?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I removed the SD card and inserted into my PC using a card reader .Using chkdisk, I was able to fix the corruption .I ran a data recovery program on it and was able to get about 50 mb. My primary issue is the 15 GB from my phones internal memory that didn't transfer and has simply vanished
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

ok, the best tool to use is wondershare which you can get here

https://drfone.wondershare.com/android-data-recovery.html

It is a paid program but if the data is recoverable, this program will get it.

Have you used this program yet?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The software won't recognize my internal memory as a drive . It tells me I need to root my phone.
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

ok, then you will need to Root the phone.

Note though, rooting it will void the warranty, and in cases especially if you do not follow the instructions correctly, can brick the phone making it useless, so you need to carefully follow the instructions which I put here if you wish to do the Root

http://www.droidviews.com/root-htc-one-m9-marshmallow/

Then run the scan from Wondershare

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
OK. I was hoping there was a way that didn't involve rooting the phone since I have to flash it, effectively wiping the phone. Still a chance of data recovery after a wipe?
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

There is a chance, just depends if the area of memory that the data is on has not been overwritten, flashing it does not mean this is the case.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
OK, I'll give it a go
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

Thank you