ITPeter
ITPeter, Engineer
Experience:  Electronic Engineer
30970729

How do I complete restoring my contact list from a dead cell

Customer Question

How do I complete restoring my contact list from a dead cell phone to my new cell phone after I unintentionally stopped the data transfer?
Randy Boman, an Android Device Expert with "Just Answer" had helped me on Aug. 20th, 2016 from 10:20 AM to 11:16 AM and left me with the task of signing-in to my Google Account once my new cell phone had ported my cell phone number from my old phone. I did this today and during the data transfer I unintentionally stopped the data transfer.
Category: Android Devices
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Can the payment transaction for asking this question be voided and then can the question above be my free question as a new member?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am not feeling well so I am going to bed and I will login tomorrow and check on your responses to my questions. Goodnight.
Expert:  ITPeter replied 9 months ago.

Hi Michael,

My name is***** will try my best to help you with your question.

You will need to sign into your Google account and start the transfer/sync process again :

1. Open your device's Settings app .
  2. Under "Personal", tap Accounts - Google. If you have multiple accounts on your device, also tap the account that you want.
  3. Tap More - Sync now.

Let me know if that works?

--------------------

Kindly rate my service 5 stars at the top of your question page if my answer worked so I am rewarded for my time; tips appreciated :) You can always reply back at any time if you need further assistance. Pete.

--------------------

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
34;More" or "Sync" don't appear on my phone after I select, Settings/Personal/Accounts & Sync/Google. My only options are:
1. Search. 2. Location settings. 3. Google+. and 4. Ads.
Expert:  ITPeter replied 9 months ago.

What version of Android is your phone using?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I don't know the Android version on my phone. I found "sync now" under the symbol that looks like a stack of books and I selected "sync now". It appears to have added more of my phone contacts but many are still missing.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Only about 70% of my contacts have been transferred. Many names are ***** ***** my "Groups".
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Many if not most of my contacts are missing phone numbers.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  ITPeter replied 9 months ago.

Yes, please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you..

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
How much time do you need? An hour or more?
Expert:  ITPeter replied 9 months ago.

Ok, I've been looking into this, and there doesn't seem to be any way to sync groups using gmail contacts.
You will need to try making an identical contact in phone mode and sync them together again.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Populating my groups is not a big deal. I can do this later. I am more interested in retrieving the missing contacts (>300) and the missing phone numbers (> 500) to my contact list.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have to cut my lawn. I will check in later to see if you have any more ideas to help me recover my missing contacts and phone numbers.
Expert:  ITPeter replied 9 months ago.

Can you still view those contacts if you log on to your google account at

https://accounts.google.com/login ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I logged on to my google account and down loaded a few archives but the data in them was compressed and I don't know how to uncompress them. Right now all I can do is see the 1st contact in each archive.
Expert:  ITPeter replied 9 months ago.

To uncompress the archive files, try right-clicking on the downloaded file and you should see an unzip option...

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Right clicking on the archive files doesn't open an unzip option.Strangely, the size of the archive is over 1 GB but there are only 4 folders with a total of 32 files. The Mail folder has one file that is 1,822,782 KB in size, which I can't open. The contact folder contains 29 files. These files have the same name as the groups I had on my old phone but the files are very small and they appear to have only one contact listed in each file.
Expert:  ITPeter replied 9 months ago.

What options do you see when you right-click on the archive file?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Open
Explore
Cut
Copy
Delete
Properties
Expert:  ITPeter replied 9 months ago.

What operating system are you using?

Would you prefer remote assistance for this?