Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have a samsung note 3 running android 5.5 lolly pop I

Customer Question

Hi I have a samsung note 3 running android 5.5 lolly pop I think it is. Every time I open an app for the first time or after I've not opened it in roughly 30 mins or so an ad pops up it got the blue triangle in the bottom left hand corner also when I open chrome it always keeps popping up with one click ads. I've Google everywhere but can't find anything also ran loads of antivirus apps but can't shift it.any ideas ?
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I think you need to restart your Note 3 in Safe Mode, first.

Then see if those ads pop up at all for some minutes of web browsing with Chrome and also with use of apps.

That will tell you whether the ad-ware you apparently have been infected with, is only in the add-ons and apps you have installed and configured since getting the Note 3.

And from that conclusion, things may be done to cure the problem. Let me know (by Reply To Expert) what result you get, and I will advise you further as to how to solve the problem.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No ads pop up in safe mode

Good. Something you installed has brought with it some ads... since you haven't detected anything illicit with anti-virus software (unless one of them brought it! which can happen if you use lesser names, for sure...), it's probably (*probably*) not ad-ware... and which one brought it depends largely on what you installed.

The drastic approach: back up all data, factory reset the Note 3. That wipes it back to essentially Safe Mode condition even in normal bootup mode. Then put one app onto the Note 3 at a time, wait 1/2 day to be sure it isn't bringing the ads, then another app, another 1/2 day, and so forth. (Less than 1/2 day if you use the Note 3 a lot, of course.)

The cautious approach: list everything you added on. Think about what you need. Remove the un-needed or not absolutely needed ones, all of those. See if that removes the ads, in normal bootup mode not Safe Mode. (To get out of Safe Mode: just restart normally.)

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.