Richard, Android Specialist
Experience:  Android Systems Specialist
32989067

I just purchased a Galaxy S6 connected to TracFone. I am 75

Customer Question

I just purchased a Galaxy S6 connected to TracFone.
I am 75 years old, somewhat tech savvy, but my hearing is not as good as it used to be. Most cell phone ear speakers are not loud enough for me on most calls so I was looking for a phone with a speaker function so I could hear my phone calls better.
I've only had the S6 for 3 days but I love it.
The S6 ear speaker volume is too low for me. But, when I turn on the speaker I hear the caller great.
The problem is that the person that I am talking to who could hear me great before I turned on the speaker says that when I turn on the speaker their ear sound now sounds like I just moved far from the microphone and they have trouble hearing me. The instant I turn off the speaker they hear me great again.
Is this the design of the S6?
Is this a malfunction?
Or, am I doing something wrong?
Leonard ***@******.***
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  derrickonline replied 3 months ago.

Mr. Leonard:

I'd be more than happy to assist you. By design it's going to be harder to hear someone on speaker phone. But because speaker volume being low is so subjective without hearing for myself it's hard to say if your phone is defective or not.

Do note however speakerphones on mobile phones generally are pretty poor. You'd have to keep the phone still very close by when speaking with little to no background noise. That said I can offer you a suggestion/alternative. Have you considered getting a bluetooth headset or bluetooth speaker/speakerphone to augment your mobile device? That's an option and I'm happy to suggest some models if you'd like.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
When I turn on the speaker... I hear the speaker volume very loud an clear. But somehow it affects the microphone, only while the speaker is on. And the person that I am talking to instantly (when I press speaker button) cannot hear me well enough to continue. I am in a quiet room with no background noise whatsoever. Is this normal for this model phone (which would cause me to return the phone)? Is this a malfunction (which would cause me to desire to have the phone repaired)? You don't sound like you know what you are talking about.

Mr. Leonard:

I'm sorry you don't feel as though I know what I'm talking about. My answer can only be as good as the information you provide. Hence I asked for clarification and stated "speaker volume being low" is subjective. The issue you described in your last comment is more detailed and does indicate a defective phone.

I'm going to go ahead and opt out of this question since it doesn't sound like you're happy with my service. Another expert will jump in. Thank you.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

Hi there Leonard

Is this issue only occurring with one person or anyone that you call and then use the speaker function?