JKalman
JKalman, Electrical Engineer
Experience:  I am an MIT graduate with a Master of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from UC Berkeley.
76287196

Looking it up now. My wifes toshiba tablet is connected to

Customer Question

Looking it up now. My wifes toshiba tablet is connected to our router but will not access the internet
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: On and off for a year
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Simply rebooting , and my wife says tears?
JA: The Android expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: Not that we can think of other than it states "404 not found"
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Android Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  JKalman replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I am pleased to have the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I can help you solve your problem. What is the make and model of your device?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Toshiba excite tablet
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Toshiba excite pro
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
32 gig
Expert:  JKalman replied 4 months ago.

Please restart your router by disconnecting the power cable for a few seconds and then reconnecting it. Sometimes the radio frequency signal quality can degrade over time, and this will refresh it. Please let me know if this improves the connectivity of the table

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Doing so now. I am Nancy, my right hand man is my husband Dick
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Router is back up running
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Now nothing is working
Expert:  JKalman replied 4 months ago.

The computer that you are using for this chat session is working. Is it connected to your router wirelessly?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am using my phone and it has been working all along...and now the router IS back working
Expert:  JKalman replied 4 months ago.

Now go to the Quick Menu on your tablet and select the WiFi menu. Display the name (SSID) of your wireless network and select the Forget option. Then reselect the network name and enter the password (Network Security Key) for your network. Please let me know if your tablet is connected and if you can access www.google.com on the internet.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Google search box is up. We accessed Ancestry.com, which is the use of the device. Can you tell me what the message "404 Not Found" means?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Also, Server Error in '/' Application.
Runtime error. That is what is on the screen now
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Also, when I try to bring up "Downloads" via the app button I get the Settings page.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Now the home commuter is not accessing Ancestry. Dick tablet and Verizon tablet are working fine (has its own wifi).
Expert:  JKalman replied 4 months ago.

Do you have more than one wireless network occupying the same physical space at your location? You mentioned a Verizon network that is working fine. Who is your other wireless service provider? How many devices do you have connected to each network?

Expert:  JKalman replied 4 months ago.

What is a Dick tablet??

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We have one wireless network in our home, Verizon, but close neighbors have many. Devices: HP printer, home computer, 3 tablets (my Toshiba, 2 for Dick) and 2 phones. That was a typo, it should have read Dick's tablet and his Verizon tablet
Expert:  JKalman replied 4 months ago.

So how many devices are not able to get on the wireless network now? To answer you questions, 404 File Not Found means that the internet address (URL) is invalid, since no web page was returned before it timed out. Server error in '/' Application, Runtime Error indicates that there is a Syntax error in the internet address. Valid internet address forms are as follows:

http://anywhere.com (non-world wide web internet address)

https://securesite.net (secure web return address}

www.worldwideweb.edu (world wide web address)

http://www,worldwidesweb.net (complete world wide web address)

anywhere.com (short-cut sometimes acceptable)

Expert:  JKalman replied 4 months ago.

Also, you may not be getting Downloads, because you do not have any, since your connection is not working.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
With this information, will I be able to take the Toshiba to someone and they can sort out the errors? It is still not working and I am down to 10% battery on this phone.
Expert:  JKalman replied 4 months ago.

No. We need to troubleshoot and solve the problem here. They cannot solve your network problems in a computer store. Whey don't you switch from your phone to one of the other devices which are working? Do you have a tablet and a laptop that both will not connect wirelessly?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Nuts. All is working except the Toshiba. Still stuck on Runtime error. My phone and the Toshiba are my only two devices. Dick's are all his alone so I cannot use his for this communication. Home computer, his Verizon tablet and his Samsung are now working fine. No laptop involved.
Expert:  JKalman replied 4 months ago.

You should connect your phone to the charger. Can you bring the charger to where you are using the phone?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am charging currently. Up to 40%
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Dick read earlier this evening the Toshiba is known for these sorts of problems and solutions are very difficult or impossible even for knowledgeable owners...of which I am not.
Expert:  JKalman replied 4 months ago.

Let's get back to your tablet. When you chose Forget and then Connect, did your table indicate that it was connected? You said earlier that you can access Google and Ancestry. So what is your problem? W have been at this for over an hour, and you have asked a lot of questions, but you have not answered very many. I am still not sure that I understand what you want?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There was no "Forget" box. Dick just reconnected without that step using the password. Every device hiccupped but are back online Except the Toshiba. It is still stuck on " Server error....runtime error" when I pull up Ancestry on Google. I can now access my downloads. And I cannot fathom any of your suggestions to solve runtime error. In the middle of things, Microsoft decided to update the program. The home computer is out for the duration of updating.
Expert:  JKalman replied 4 months ago.

If I understand you correctly, you can access www.google.com but not www.ancestry.com. Is this a correct summary of your problem? AS far as I can tell, your only problem is that you are not using your tablet correctly. Please use exactly those URL's and please answer my question.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Mr. Kalman, it has become apparent you have lost patience with me. As I review, I have answered all your questions best I can. Rather than spending a second hour getting nowhere, we best just close. Thanks anyway.