Ashik, Android Tech
Experience:  Personal Experience with many Android devices and versions
16433418

My KINDLE FIRE..When opening up the Kindle, it is locked..a

Customer Question

My KINDLE FIRE..When opening up the Kindle , it is locked..a voice comes on and says use two fingers to open. I open it--says to put pin #--I do and it won't register. I can't get anything at all on my screen. At one point it claimed I had no WIFI--I do and everything else in the house works. My Kindle holds everything and I need to have access to it. Please help me!
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Hello, and sorry you're having problems.

The problem you're having is often due to the software in the Kindle locking up and it needing to be rebooted. To do this, simply press and hold the power button on the Kindle for 40 FULL seconds, then release and wait a full minute for it to reboot (do no press anything else within that minute).
If this does not cure the issue, try that reset up to THREE TIMES and wait the full minute to see if it reboots.

If you're still running into problems, then try plugging the Kindle into the charger for 15 minutes, then eject it and try the reboot a couple of more times.

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Aric--I rebooted--screen came on..same lady telling me the screen is locked and asking for a pin number--which it will not take. How do I get her off my Kindle and the number grid,too?

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.
If the device is still accepting the pin, then it'd still locked up. Please try giving it into your computer, leave it here for 15 minutes then try the reboot steps above again while it's connected. Let me know what happens please.
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Are you still having the same problem?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Although Aric suggested rebooting (had done that before ) and plugging into my Mac..and rebooting..nothing worked. It wouldn't budge and annoying lady wouldn't shut up. An electronic saavy friend came over and we decided after 52 frustrating hours, I would get a new one. I appreciate input...wasn't easy getting there with justanswer this time around.
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

I'm sorry, but I will need to opt out of the question at this point. It is now open for other experts to view and assist.

Expert:  Ashik replied 5 months ago.

Hi Susan, Do you still need help with this ? There is nothing wrong with your Kindle.

The Voice Guide or Screen Reader feature of your Kindle is turned on. When it is turned on, you have to double tap instead of single tap to select the item, enter number/letter or to open Apps. To move or slide, use two fingers. Follow the steps below to turn off the VoiceGuide feature.

Slide with two fingers and it will ask for PIN. So to enter pin, first select the number and then double tap it and that number will register. Do the same for all numbers. Once it get unlocked, follow the steps below to fix it.

Method 1 (for oldKindles):

Go to Settings(Double tap and hold the top bar on the screen, and then pull the bar downwardto view the Settings menu)

Select (double tap)“More”.

Select (double tap)the “Accessibility” option to open the Accessibility menu.

Slide (double tapand slide) the “Text-to-Speech” toggle to the Off position.

Slide (double tapand slide) the “Voice Guide” toggle to the Off position.

Method 2 (for new Kindles):

In some screen,swipe down from the top with two fingers. Double tap Settings. This will bring Settings.

In Settings, you will see several options. Now scroll up with two fingers at same time and you will see Accessibility option.

Tap on it and double tap on it to open.

Tap on Vision Settings and double tap on Vision Settings to open it.

Now you will see Screen Reader at top. Turn it off by tapping two times on OFF button. When it is off, go back to home screen.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks anyway Aric but I am stopping justanswer having just purchased a new Kindle. Thanks for trying
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 months ago.

Aric opted out, this is different tech and name is***** you still have the Kindle, give it a try. It will work. This is actually a feature for visually impaired people. Somehow you got that option turned on. It may take a few tries to turn it off.

If you want to cancel, you can contact***@******.*** and they will refund your account. But you should still try the above steps and that will save your Kindle. Or try to enter wrong PIN for multiple times and it will prompt you to factory reset it. So do a factory reset and then re-register it with your Amazon and you will get all your books back.

Have a good day,