Benjamin Larson
Benjamin Larson, Software Development Engineer
Experience:  Software Development Engineer
94796889

Samsung galaxy note 10.1 gt-n8020. hang on boot up logo will

Customer Question

Samsung galaxy note 10.1 gt-n8020. hang on boot up logo will go into to odin download but will not load .tar file. will not go into factory restore.
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Benjamin Larson replied 5 months ago.

Hi Glenn, my name is ***** ***** I would love to help you with your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply ASAP.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok cool

Okay, so I did some research and at first glance it looks like it could possibly be a bad tar file or maybe a hardware issue. Personally I would not throw in the towel yet unless it is in warranty and you want to have Samsung fix it.

Where did you get the tar file? Did you do a checksum to make sure it downloaded without corruption? Did you load any custom restore like clockwork or root the device or custom rom, etc? I will be honest, I used to be more into rooting, but since Verizon stopped trying to charge for tethering, I don't play with the internals of Android as much, but I bet we can get this working, it just might be a bit tricky. By the way, it is your device so I will help with rooting and all, but neither I nor JA is liable, Yada Yada Yada. :)

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
its mine been fine for a long time I didn't change anything or wanted to I upgraded to galaxy s2. and was going to give the note 10.1 to my grand son. but it stopped work befor he got it and was not used for about a week. things that were changed was the sd card and the sim was removed.i have tried putting them back but no change.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
PhilZTouch_recovery_v3.0.tar
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
odin 307

Where did you get the tar file? I think that might be your issue. Do you know what Android version you had?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
had the latest updates phills on touch recovery.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
mc_901F_F2FS_PhilZTouch_recovery_v3.0.tar that's the full file name

I checked and that file seems to be working for some of the folks at XDA forums. I would try re-downloading the file in case it corrupt or try downloading a different file here:http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/

If that answers your question and solves your issue, awesome. If that is the case, I would appreciate it if you could please rate my answer. If you still need help, let me know and I will assist.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok will try the file from there

Awesome, let me know how it goes.good luck!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
are there ben
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
are you there benjamin

I was just going to bed, but checking here one more time. What's up?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I get to system.img then it stops

Is that farther than you got with the other tar file or is that the same point of failure?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
still the same. kies also did the same
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
sorry didn't relize there was a time dif

I am hoping this isn't a hardware issue. What is the reason for the factory restore? Because you were giving it to someone else you said? Can you boot up normally or is that messed up?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I wont boot it only gets to the logo screen. also I had not deleted any thing at all. was giving to my grand son who lives with us.8years old.

So it was working fine then one it didn't boot and the reason to flash the files is to fix it, right? I apologize, but I need to get to bed. I will think about your issues and do some more research tomorrow to see what else we can try.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok cool thanks yes that's all correct.
good night
glenn.

Good morning Glenn.

I have been looking and looking to find a good solution for your issue of Odin failure to flash either file and I did not find an easy fix but I was able to locate a troubleshooting guide that gives you more things to try. I really despise the trial and error approach here, but I am unable to locate a root cause analysis for your issue with a fix or even a workaround.

Let me know if you can and want to try the steps here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2777810

While they do seem reasonable, I wish I could say do 1 2 and 3 and it will work for sure for you. Unfortunately you came into this question with the easy stuff already done since you were aware that flashing using Odin was a way to fix your failure to boot. So you can feel good about everything you are doing. Now hopefully a few more tries and we can get this tablet working for your grandson!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok will have a look

Sounds good, I really hope it works for you. I believe if you follow the steps in that forum post and it doesn't work, the unit has a hardware issue. Sadly, since the rate of progression on these devices is soooo fast, it is likely not worth repairing if it is a hardware issue unless it is under warranty. I really wish I could tell you do this simple process and it will work or swap out this cheap component, but it looks like this is our best shot to get it working.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no joy yet

I am sorry to hear that Glenn. I am really, really sorry. I think this sounds indicative of a hardware failure if everything we tried is failing. I know you absolutely don't want to hear that, but it seems like that is what all signs are pointing to. There are some great midrange tablets out there that can be purchased very inexpensively now, so you may want to that route. Careful with the ultra cheap ones, they usually have such poor specs the user experience is very subpar.

I hope you will not metaphorically shoot the messenger on this one. I hate delivering bad news. If you feel I have provided good service I would greatly appreciate it if you could please rate my answer. If you have additional questions, please don't hesitate to ask me.