JKalman, Electrical Engineer
Experience:  I am an MIT graduate with a Master of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from UC Berkeley.

I have a samsing 6. My phone did a factory reset while in my

Customer Question

I have a samsing 6. My phone did a factory reset while in my purse. Now it says it is locked because of an abnormal factory reset. When I try to login it says processing failed. Neither Verizon nor Samsung know what to do.
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  GeekGal replied 4 months ago.

Hi there. My name is*****'m sorry that you're having this trouble. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this. It is very likely that a MASTER reset will correct the problem. Hopefully you have a recent backup of your phone, as the Master Reset may cause you to lose contacts, photos, and other data.

1. Turn off the device.
  2. Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Home key, then press and hold the Power key.
  3. When the Samsung Galaxy S 6 logo screen displays, release only the Power key
  4. When the Android logo displays, release the Volume Up and the Home key ('Installing system update' will show for about 30 - 60 seconds before showing the Android system recovery menu options).
  5. Press the Volume down key several times key to highlight 'wipe data / factory reset.'
  6. Press Power button to select.
  7. Press the Volume down key until 'Yes -- delete all user data' is highlighted.
  8. Press Power button to select and start the master reset.
  9. When the master reset is complete, 'Reboot system now' is highlighted.
  10. Press the Power key to restart the device.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 4 months ago.

Please let me know how this works for you. If you need clarification on any of the steps or have additional questions I am happy to assist. I am committed to working with you until the problem is fully resolved.

When your problem has been resolved, please kindly take a moment to rate my service. As an independent contractor for just answer, I do not receive credit for my answer and I am not compensated in any way without a rating of at least 3 stars. You can provide a rating by clicking on the stars and then clicking on submit. Please remember, don't rate until you are satisfied. If you need more help, please let me know so I can continue to work with you or allow me to "opt-out" so that other experts can assist you. Your complete satisfaction is my goal! Thank you!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I just did it. When it comes back on it goes straight to the setup wizard. When I click English for the language it takes me to a login screen for Samsung account. It says that the phone is locked because of an abnormal factory reset, sign into the samsung acct that was previously used on this phone to confirm that it belongs to you. When I enter in all of the info and hit sign in it says "processing failed". It still will not work.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 4 months ago.

I'm terribly sorry but it sounds as though you may have to have the phone replaced if a MASTER RESET won't work. I will "opt out" and open the question to other experts just in case someone else has other troubleshooting ideas. Have a great weekend!

Expert:  JKalman replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I can help you solve your problem. I think that what you are trying to do is the right strategy. However, I think that you should repeat it, with a fully charged phone and with your phone connected to your charger, several more times, until it works.