Richard, Android Specialist
Experience:  Android Systems Specialist

I have a Samsung Galaxy s3. I dont have cell phone svc

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Samsung Galaxy s3. I dont have cell phone svc but only internet svc thru a WiFi connection at home. When I go into google play, it tells me "Cant establish a reliable connection to the server" while I do have reliable WiFi connection. I cannot go into any google accts or gmail. The date on settings is correct. I noticed the problem after i was already signed into Google and using you tube. After i got out of youtube, i could no longer go to googleplay. Can someone help.?
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  JKalman replied 5 months ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I can help you solve your problem. I think the problem that Google has shut you down, because your device is not registered on the network. They control the "kill" switch, and they can do that.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
how do I confirm that this is the case? Ive been using the phone for over a year. What can i do to overcome this if this the case?
Expert:  JKalman replied 5 months ago.
I do not know how to confirm this. However, I do know that if you attempt to fix the unreliable connection problem by doing a factory reset on your smartphone, you will not be able to use it, because the first step in setting it up is to register it on the cellular network. However, it may work if you remove the sim card. Have you done that yet?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I DO have a reliable connection. But i never had to register it on the cell network to use the other web features. I havent removed the sim card, but if i do then do I operate it as i normally would?
Expert:  JKalman replied 5 months ago.
You should be able to operate normally without the sim card. If you still have the unreliable connection error, you could try performing a factory reset without the sim card or removing the sim card after the factory reset. This might allow you to circumvent the problem of registering your phone on the network. If I am wrong about Google's awareness of your unregistered device on the network, this may allow you to repair the problem and restore your wifi internet connection.
Expert:  JKalman replied 5 months ago.
Please let me know if you have any problems with or questions about this advice. If I have solved your problem, I would appreciate a good or an excellent rating. I ONLY GET COMPENSATED FOR MY SERVICES WHEN I RECEIVE A POSITIVE RATING. Thank you for choosing Just Answer.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Mr. J, it was my son asking the question but he wont see your responses until tom'w evening. He's in bed now. The S3 was purchased used and i believe it has been rooted. I know little about this, but will any of your instructions affect the operation Or will your instruction work EVEN IF the s3 is rooted? How does the Sim card affect the connection of the phone/web service ? He will read and try your suggestions tom'w .. Thank you for your time
Expert:  JKalman replied 5 months ago.
If the phone has been rooted, then the factory reset will remove the root access if it works at all. Removing sim card should disable cell registration process and may allow bypassing it, but this is all trial and error, especially with a rooted device. Sorry that I cannot be more definitive, but I use my phone as my only business and personal communication device other than email, and I cannot afford to take chances with it, so I have not personal experience with rooting a smartphone. I only know what I read about it. I hope this helps. I have told you all I know about it. IF YOU ARE NOT SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER AND YOU DO NOT GIVE A NEGATIVE RATING, YOUR ACCOUNT WILL NOT BE CHARGED AND YOUR DEPOSIT WILL BE RETURNED TO YOU. Also, I am going to opt out now and release your question to other experts who may have more experience with this issue.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.
Hi there and welcomeA different expert here.Can you please go to Settings, Wifi and tap on your network and tap Forget.Once done, restart the phone, then connect back to your wifi network again and tell me please if you still have the issue.Let me know the results please.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
hi, I just tried what you said. Didn't work. I went into google play and it gave me the same msg.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.
ThanksCan you go to settings, Applications Manage, then swipe to the list ALLLocate Google Play Store, press it and press Clear DataOnce done, restart the phone and tell me if you still have the problem please.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello. Ive tried what yu said. Unfortunatly, it didn't work. It gave the same msg.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.
ok, we will need to do then a reset of the phone, this will remove all data and return the phone to new, so backup any data you first wish to keep.Then go to Settings, Backup & Reset, Factory Reset.Complete this, then set up the phone like when you first received it and tell me if you still have the issue please.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello. I didnt remove the sim card while resetting. It didnt work. Will removing the card do anything different?