Joel Kalman
Joel Kalman, Electrical Engineer
Experience:  I am an MIT graduate with a Master of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from UC Berkeley.
76287196

Goodmoring. I just purchased an android tablet from ICraig

Customer Question

goodmoring. I just purchased an android tablet from ICraig and wonder if u can tell me how to access internet. Let me explain further. In a home where there is no wifi so I go to Wifi in the tablet and I get one network but it ask me for a password ***** i do not have because i do not have modem there. My cell phone which is android allows me to access the internet so why can't i access internet with my tablet. please help.
Don Lehtonen
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Terry Parker replied 10 months ago.
Try turning the wifi off and then again. And try restarting the tablet and sees what happen. This should solve the issue
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I want to put additonal information in for u. when I am at home I have wifi on my phone because i get the password ***** my router, My phone is android and when I am at my mother's home which she does not have wifi but I can still access the internet with my phone. Now my tablet is also android but I can not access the internet . when I hit the wifi button I get a network that pops up and my home network as well but that says it is out of distance. But the other network requires a password ***** i do not have. so the question is why can I access the internet with my phone at my mother's home but can not do that with my tablet when both are android? This is the network at my mother's home TP-LINK_336AEC but do not have Password ***** how do I get password?
Expert:  Joel Kalman replied 10 months ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I can help you solve your problem. What is the make and model of your device?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I would like to talk but not for $20 already spent $29 maybe. I machine is ICraig Cmp773 Bun
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
tablet
Please standby while I research your problem.
I do not have your exact menus, but you need to go to Settings > More Networks > Mobile Networks > Mobile Data and turn on Standard Data, which turns on mobile data such as email, web browsing, and push notifications over the cellular network.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't have more networks or mobile networks, mobile date standard data? try again
You get the general idea though. Somewhere on all Android devices there is a menu setting that turns on data over the mobile cellular network. This setting is turned on on your smartphone but not on your tablet. There is always a setting to turn this on or off, because some people do not want to send data over the cellular network.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
yes on my mobile phone I have that but we are not talking about the cell phone but my tablet and on my tablet I do not have that
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is there a way to find password ***** a network as I said in one of my correspondences I do have a network listed at my mother's home
No, there is no way to get the password ***** the network at your mother's house, unless it is her network and you can get it from her. You are not getting my point about your tablet. Since it has the Android operating system, it must have the same menu options as your smartphone. You just need to find that menu setting.
I will try to find some information on your menus.
I was unable to locate any information about your menus. We can go through them together, one at a time, if you like.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
yes let's do that because I do not see what u r referring on my tablet
Okay. Go to Settings and tell me what menus you see there.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
under wireless and networkI see Wifi which is on
Bluetooth which is on
Data USAGE
more:airplane mode and vpn
sound
display
storage
battery
apps
location
security
Language and imput
Back up and reset
google
add account
date and time
accessibility
printin
about tablet
Go to Data Usage.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok
i have : on the 3 box upper right I have Auto syc date which is ckecked and mobile hotspot which is not checked is this it
then I have youtube google play, browser, chrome android os, Google sves., Google search, gmail, google+, twitter, calendar, google play music, dropbox, cloud print, maps, google text to speech, amazon kindle, facebook, media
It is not Mobile Hotspot.
Make sure that you are not in Airplane Mode, because this turns data off. Then please go to Google and tell me what you have there.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
google play store, google services, google search, google +, google play music, google text to speech engine, which one?
None of those. I think you may be right that there is no option to turn on cellular data with the menus. I just realized that, unless you purchased your tablet from your wireless carrier, it will not be registered on the cellular network. This tablet does not have that capability. It only works on wifi.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
so u r saying it can not be done
Yes, that is what I am saying. Most tablets do not have cellular service. The models that you can get from your wireless service provide on a contract or payment plan do have a cellular connection, but this is mainly so that they can keep track of their collateral property. You can also get tablet models that have cellular capability from the retail stores, b
But your device does not have this capability.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok who should contact for the refund
I apologize for the confusion, and I hope that I have answered your question in a satisfactory manner. I know that it is not the answer that you wanted, but at least it gives you some clarity about the issue, and you know now that there is nothing wrong with your tablet. It is operating the way that it is supposed to. Are there any other questions about this? If you are satisfied with my advice, I would appreciate a Good or Excellent rating. If you have questions or are having problems, please let me know, so that I can provide you with the additional support that you need. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to be of service. I ONLY GET COMPENSATED FOR MY TIME AND EFFORT WHEN I RECEIVE A POSITIVE RATING!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I will give u good rating however i am not satisfied. Per your guarantee i have to be happy with my outcome and I am not, so refund should be forthcoming of $29.00.