Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience

Richard. I have a problem with an android tablet where some days the battery drains dow

Customer Question

hi Richard. I have a problem with an android tablet where some days the battery drains down to 0 within 15 minutes, when the tablet is plugged. I need some help in figuring out why this is happening.
Ive had this tablet ongoing for about 2 month. I since moved the tablet somewhere else physically (into a store) but running under the same conditions (same apps, same running time, etc etc). However since it was moved to the store this extreme battery drain issue started. There are times when it will run down to 1% then go up to 100% and drain all over again. I usually have to turn off the screen for the battery drain to stop.
Also worthy of note is the tablet is using a sim card for internet connectivity, and wifi is OFF.
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Russell H. replied 5 months ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. So is the internet connectivity by cellular wireless?The battery may simply be defective and have poor capacity for storing power. It is rare but it can happen.As for possible excessive power drain or excessive power consumption... you can best judge that by seeing (by touching the device's back or case) whether it is heating up. That's what excessive power consumption (as opposed to a defective battery) would cause, almost without question and without exception. (If only the battery heats up, it might be a short inside the battery. A defective battery in that case.)
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Russell,Yes internet connectivity is by cellular wireless.The tablet is always plugged in, could the issue still be a defective battery?Im not there physically to see if the battery is warm, however dumpsys shows that the temperature stays at 250, which tells me its not warm.
Is that 250 C., or 250 K.? (-or 250 F.?? I doubt it.) If it's 250 C., that's hot, period. Dangerously so. If it's 250 K., that's an eccentric way of measuring or stating temperature unless you're a physicist... which is why I have to ask. 250 Kelvin, is of course,minus 9 degrees Fahrenheit ! in other words, winter in a northern area. 250 is hot. I think so. Or did you leave out the decimal point and mean 25.0 (twenty-five degrees C.) ?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Its the output from "dumpsys battery" command, there is a line that says "temperature: 250" but doesnt give the unit. Through some googling apparently you divide the value by 10 to get the temperature in C i.e. 25 C
OK. That sounds cool enough, for an electronic device's internally self-sensed temperature. So the battery might be defective, then. Unless some power-saving settings are not enabled on the tablet, perhaps.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I was able to replicate the issue on another tablet in my test environment, the issue appears to be the brightness of the screen. It seems that if the tablet is on continuously for a long period of time (8 hours or more) with screen brightness at 50% or higher, rapid discharging of the battery will occur even though it is plugged in the entire time. With screen brightness set to the minimum it runs all day without issue (from 6 am - 9 pm). I am now wondering if I need to get a power cable capable of transferring higher power or a higher amperage adapter to push more current? Or there is nothing I can do and I will have to live with lower screen brightness?