JKalman, Electrical Engineer
Experience:  I am an MIT graduate with a Master of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from UC Berkeley.

I have HTC One M8, Was rooted, Verizon auto updated software

Customer Question

I have HTC One M8, Was rooted, Verizon auto updated software which unrooted phone, I tried to re-root the phone, but now I'm stuck on red Verizon boot screen. I want to re-root. Help???
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Russell H. replied 5 months ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. I think you might want to try a hard reset, after giving the phone a rest-reset with the battery removed for at least an hour (to cool off and reset thoroughly). (A Hard Reset will wipe the data off the phone, be warned, since it involves setting its contained storage back to the factory-release condition.) If that is possible. It may not be, given the phone's condition.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok. This phone is an HTC One M8, which has a sealed body, so the battery is not removable, however, I have already run the battery down to a zero state and tried to factory data reset the phone, but it always goes back to a 'Team Win Recovery Project v2.8.7.0' boot screen which is apparently left over from the original root process. I have a recovery file ready to load with all my settings and backups from the time before the phone became inoperable, but the phone needs to be able to connect with my laptop, which is doesn't do at this time.
I am not sure what can be done at this stage. So I have Opted Out in favor of another Expert who may have the expertise you need.
Expert:  JKalman replied 5 months ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I can help you solve your problem. If you have depleted your battery, you need to charge it to at least 50% capacity and leave it connected to the charger before performing an update or a recovery. If your battery became depleted before your update was completed, this could have damaged your operating system and caused your problems.
Expert:  JKalman replied 5 months ago.
How to factory reset the HTC One M8 using the hardware buttonsPress and hold the Volume Down button and then press and hold the Power button.Wait for the screen with three Android images to appear. Release the buttons.Using the Volume Down key to navigate, select Factory Reset.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I've already tried to factory reset the phone while in the TWRP recovery will not let me do that.
The problem is when I tried to re-root the phone, something went wrong...I'm pretty sure I followed the steps correctly, however I ended up with a phone that has no operating system at all. I have tried to load multiple OS's via my SD card in hopes of fixing the problem, but have been unsuccessful.
My phone is now at a computer store to see if they can load an operating system into it...if they can't, then I'll be back to square one, and if you're still willing then, help me to remedy the issue.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Also, I work long hours, so it may take awhile to get back to you, since I currently don't have a smartphone I can monitor progress with while at work.
Expert:  JKalman replied 5 months ago.
Dear Customer,I am glad that you have sought outside help. I really have no personal experience with rooted phones, other than what I have read online. I am willing to continue to help you by researching the problem, if and when you still require assistance. I am also willing to opt out and allow other experts to contribute their knowledge. Perhaps one of them will have more experience with this issue. Good luck with your efforts.Joel Kalman
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
once I get my phone back, if it hasn't been fixed, then I may contact you again. I don't think it would be fair to give you a poor or bad rating since I don't know you or your experience, but I also won't pay for an unanswered question since we didn't engage into anything, so I can't give a rating at this time.