Rusty Rescue
Rusty Rescue, Technician
Experience:  Android recovery, app specialist, consulting.
63817454

I got a ransomware on my kindle fir 8HD labeled "a.bredinglycodinglyscodin.website&qu

Customer Question

I got a ransomware on my kindle fir 8HD labeled "a.bredinglycodinglyscodin.website" and unsure how to delete from my kindle
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Rusty Rescue replied 7 months ago.
Hello, my name is Rusty. There has been a recent surge of ransomware lately. Sorry to hear that you are a victim. Are you able to do anything with the tablet at all? Can you navigate the tablet?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes, as long as I don't activate the SILK browser If I open SILK, this ransomware immediately cannot be closed and to my surprise, it has radio button to RELOAD. One activated, the ransomware does not allow any other activity.
Ok, great, you're in luck. First, delete the silk browser by tapping apps, holding the SILK app, and selecting remove. You can then download the SILK app, and the problem should be gone. If that doesn't fix it, it's embedded somewhere else. You'll need to reset the tablet. Pull the Main Menu down and click on More.Go to My account and Tap Deregister.Once the information is removed, go to Settings and press More.Go to Device and tap Reset to Factory Default.Hit Factory Reset and confirm my tapping Erase Everything.The tablet will be shut down and erase all the data.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Can I assume you meant hold fdown the apps button and the SILK button at the same time? That brings up ,in the upper right corner, a greyed out "UNINSTALl but nothing that activtes the uninstall of SILK In the top left corner is a return arrow that breing you back to the home page.
No, you should just be able to hold the SILK app when you're in your app menu.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It looks like all I did was remove the apps button. Si LK is still on the screen with the apps button included
Ok, that was backwards. Do the factory reset, and it will get your apps button back. Once you do that, it needs to be reset. Pull the Main Menu down and click on More.Go to My account and Tap Deregister.Once the information is removed, go to Settings and press More.Go to Device and tap Reset to Factory Default.Hit Factory Reset and confirm my tapping Erase Everything.The tablet will be shut down and erase all the data.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i' d call except I have to leave for an appointment. Do you have a telephone number?
The phone call request is automated, bookmark this page so you can get back to these instructions. I cannot give out my phone number, it works a little different than that. :-)
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I just got back from my appointment. I will be on a field trip for my granddaughter's school so I wont's call until Friday.
Ok, let me know when you get to it.