Richard, Android Specialist
Experience:  Android Systems Specialist
32989067

I have a problem with my android phone: Is a samsung galaxy

Customer Question

Hi, I have a problem with my android phone:
Is a samsung galaxy S 5 mini, running Android 5.1.1.
My contacts storage suddenly (couple of days ago, more or less) is to big, more than 5GB.
I have less than 500 contacts, some in my device, some in my google account, some from whatapp, some from something called "custom view".
I'm pretty sure that some of them are duplicated, I mean some from my google account are the same from my device, etc.
How can I solve this? more than 5GB is crazy.
Thanks.
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. When contacts storage is too big, it means that the contacts database on your device has become corrupted.You need to do, in outline, this:1. Turn Off the sync function.2. Backup your Contacts, e.g. by Export of them to a file on a disk.3. Backup your phone contacts, in case some of them are not in Google Contacts but just on your phone, e.g. to a file on the SD card.4. Delete the storage of the Contacts (i.e. Contacts storage).5. Turn On the Sync function again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the information.
I still have some questions about the solution you mentioned here:
1. To backup my contacts, I mentioned I have some under a Google account, some under whatsapp, some only in the device, how do I backup or export each one of those groups of contacts.
2. Could I export the all my contacts (those under the Google account, under whatsup, in my device) to a micros SD card?
3. I have an option in contacts that displays ALL contacts, also the option to export ALL contacts to a SD card. Is a good idea to do that or I need to export to my SD card by those groups?
4. What do you mean with delete the storage of the contacts?
5. If I turn on the sync function, it will sync the contacts under my Google account, how do I recover those from whatapp, from my phone, etc.I will really appreciate if you can answer my questions by number. I'm not an android expert.
Thanks.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
1. the Google contacts will be backed up by the process I already detailed, so will the contacts on the device. The Whatsapp contacts... are different. What version is your Whatsapp? 2. yes, that could be done, provided the card was large enough in free space / capacity to hold them. 3. you can do that, but (see 2) you may run out of SD card space perhaps. 4. deleting means removing that corrupted and swollen 5 GB file, only after getting everything in it that's of any value onto the SD card files / exported files / etc.How it is done?:“Settings”> “Applications”> “Manage applications”> “All”> “Contacts Storage”and select“Clear data“. 5. Turning on the sync will restore contacts from Google online, yes.Choose 'Import' to get the contacts back from e.g. the card, if you Export-ed them. I hope that's clear enough (except I need more info on the Whatsapp you're using before stating that part of the answer.)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The what's app version is 2.16.37I need to create like "folders" in my SD card to identify each group of contacts? I ask this if I need to identify each of them when I restore my contacts back after deleting the corrupted storage.Actually I have on tots in:
- my phone
- goggle account
- my device
- we chat
- and something called "custom view".So do I need to identify each one of these groups with folders in my SD card for the recovery process?
If so, how do I do that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had a typing error. I mean I HAVE CONTACTS IN:
and then the list...
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Creating folders on a computer, with the SD card in its memory card reader or slot, would be much easier. A folder for each Contacts export file would be good.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry Russell but I don't feel too much help from your side, just quick responses.I'm not an android expert as you, and I feel you are assuming I know the steps one by one to perform each action you tell me. No I'm not. I need a procedure very explicit like step 1 do this anday that, step 2 do this and that, step by step , not general instructions.The very first answer you sent me I found it by my self in google, the reason I contact this site is because I need help with the process.I can't use a computer to create the directories in my micros card.The only device I have is my phone. So how do I backup each group of contacts I have? How do I restore them in Google account, whatsapp, my phone, wechat, the custom view?
But I need it step by step. Very detailed.
Please let me know if you can help me with this or not. General tips and answers are not helping me.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Then you may have to name each Expert file differently to distinguish which ones are which. But though I have given you the outline, I confess that I'm not holding the details back - I simply do not know all the details. Whatsapp, for instance, is an app I do not find any instructions for saving or exporting the Contacts as such. I have Opted Out, with apologies. Another Expert will hopefully know how to fill in my instructions on this matter of exporting contacts from an Android phone, saving them, removing the 5 GB corrupted contacts file, and restoring those contacts again from their various exported files on the SD card.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Russell, I will be waiting for the other expert.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and welcomeFirst, I want to know please how you have confirmed your contact storage is taking up 5GBPlease let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Richard, thanks but I solved my problem by myself.
I will ask for my refund.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No problem, thanks