Josh, Technician
Experience:  Android technician
50836188

I have a paperwhite and I have purchased a magazine subscription

Customer Question

I have a paperwhite and I have purchased a magazine subscription that I cannot open because it says I need a software update. I tried going to the site and getting it, but when I got the device information from my Kindle, it appears that I actually have a more recent update than the one they say I need.....they say I need 5.6.1.1 and the device says I have 5.7.3.1
I REALLY need to be able to open these magazines, but when I attempted to download the update it said it had failed due to a network error.
How can I find out what is really going on and what I need to do to solve this?
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Josh replied 7 months ago.
Hi, If you have a leather case on your Kindle; Please remove it before performing the steps below.Please press and hold down the power button for 25-30seconds until the Kindle restartsIf that does not work, then please respond back and let me know so I can continue to troubleshoot.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It did not work and I get the same message "Your Kindle requires a software update to view this content. Please visit http://www.amazon.com.kindlesoftwareupdates for instructions on how to install the free update for your device"I went there and tried to download the update but it said that it failed due to a network error. Also, as I said in my original question to you I don't know why I need an update when the version of software that my device says it has appears to be a more recent update than the one they say I need to open the magazine.Are you actually going to be able to help me?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Do I stay here to wait for an answer or will it come as a separate email?
Expert:  Josh replied 7 months ago.
Which magazine subscription did you purchase?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Bon Apetit....I also purchased SHAPE and it opens perfectly.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Look, this is ridiculous....I am very busy and I don't have time to keep checking back and seeing if there is an answer or not.I'm thinking that I would like to cancel this and not pay for anything....telling me the usual "re-boot" is almost an insult.I'm outta here. Thanks for nothing.
Expert:  Josh replied 7 months ago.
Unfortunately, it does take a couple of minutes for a reply each time. Would you like to continue or cancel?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
IF you think that you can actually resolve this problem and get my Kindle to open the magazines, I am willing to continue but since I can't just sit at the computer, it may take several days. Thanks.
Expert:  Josh replied 7 months ago.
Sorry for the long delay. Are you still having the issue?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
YES. do you have a solution?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm LISTENING.....