Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

How do I bypass the native camera as the primary camera source

Customer Question

How do I bypass the native camera as the primary camera source on an Android rooted phone, specifically a Samsung S5 SM-G900H, even if it somehow involves deleting the default camera?
There are many apps which pretty much involve a 'fake camera' which you could use on snapchat/kik and such and they would prompt you so you could select videos and pictures from your gallery so you could upload old pics to your snapchat history that weren't taken today.
Nowadays most of these apps automatically select your native or primary camera so even if you were to download a thousand apps it wouldn't work.
I wanna know how to make one of these apps my default camera or if I could use the concept involved in Manycam? Where the video source selected could be a video or photo which would then show if your native's phone camera and you could then use on snapchat, kik and such apps.
Thanks very much for your time.
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Russell H. replied 7 months ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. Android OS resources in hardware are accessed through the operating system.If you deleted the native camera, there would be nothing to access. Bypassing the native camera would mean having a secondary camera 'device', if that were possible - obviously you don't mean a genuine camera, but a fake device entry to source photo or clip files through/from/by. To make a fake camera device would require getting into Android internals. It is stuff for serious programmer/hackers.Normally you could (as a hardware designer) even add in a second camera device, and the Android OS would sense it and, theoretically, include it as a device/resource, accessible etc. But to produce a 'fake camera' without reference to any real hardware resouce, would be elaborate in the extreme. I suggest that, if you need to present pictures and video as if they were from a camera, you should simply fake the communications that are involved in so presenting picture files or video clip files as if they were sourced from a camera device. This is no more elaborate than adding a forged 'From:' address to a spam email. I don't know if it's the solution you are looking for, and I frankly do not like it much myself, but it is the most efficient answer available. The alternatives are elaborate and laborious in the extreme.