p0llinate, Engineer
Experience:  Android phone and tablet expert

I have a friend who has lost her eyesight and I'd like to get

Customer Question

I have a friend who has lost her eyesight and I'd like to get her a device so she can listen to books. Which kindle is the easiest for an older person to operate so she could listen to audio books.
Thank you for your help with this,
Gayle DeLashmutt
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  p0llinate replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.I work extensively with individuals who are blind and visually impaired, so I have a lot of experience in this area. Most of the kindles offer a text to speech functionality now, where MOST (but not all) books can be read aloud.You may prefer to get her a different type of device though such as a smartphone or tablet, and she could use the "audible" (this is a brand/service, like the netflix of audio books) on it. The reasoning for this is that it is going to be easier to use, but the audio quality is also much better, as the audible type books are actually narrated by a person. Using a device that takes text based books and reads them aloud with a screen reader is just a computer/robot voice, which is generally not very pleasant to listen to for the entirety of a book. If you want to use a basic kindle for her, go with the fire: kindle paperwhite does not have this function. Alternately, consider using an ios device (iphone/ipad). Though it also has a touchscreen based interface, it has a great "voiceover" accessibility option that tells you out loud every thing on the screen, where you are touching, etc. There are ipad apps for kindle, nook, audible, etc:
Do you need more help with this, Gayle?