Robert M
Robert M, consultant
Experience:  Years of experience with all types of computers as well as phones and tablets with Android systems

I have a new Lenovo P780. Using factory installed software,

Customer Question

I have a new Lenovo P780. Using factory installed software, the front (facing) camera works when I press the camera button, but I cannot get it to switch to the rear camera. It is a Lenovo P780 running Android version 4.2.1 with 1 GB ram. Any suggestions?
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Robert M replied 6 months ago.
there should be an icon that looks like a camera with two arrows around it that will switch between front and rear camera.if that is not working are you sure that you are on 4.2 because there was a known issue with kitkat version 4.4 where the rear camera would not work there are a couple of utilties buried on this page that might help
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
This hasn't helped. I need to know what to do specifically to load the utilities; I've not done that before. Thanks. ***** *****
Expert:  Robert M replied 6 months ago.
looked into it a bit and to use them you have to do a bunch to the phone including rooting it which may invalidate your warranty Easier options might be to see if it will take a newer version of android.or using a different camera app such as this one
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I tried installing several different camera apps, including the one you suggested. The camera does not work at all on any of them - nothing in the viewer, whereas the current app shows the front camera ready but not the rear one.
Expert:  Robert M replied 6 months ago.
as far as i can tell its just a known bug with that phone You can try updating the android systemSettings > About Phone > System Update
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for your efforts, Robert. My understanding is that there would be no charge if the problem is not solved, and obviously the problem is not solved (and probably won't be until Lenovo puts out some kind of patch). I don't want to give you a bad rating for an unsolvable problem, but still I have made no progress in resolving the issue. What do you advise?