Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Engineer
Experience:  B.S. Electrical & Computer Engineering, 20+ years technical experience
7043301

I bought a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge + 2/22/16 and Google has

Customer Question

I bought a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge + 2/22/16 and Google has me locked out of it because I can't remember the original password. I am so upset over this because I have a brand new phone that I am paying for and can't use
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 8 months ago.
Hi there, I'm sorry that you have been locked out of your phone. Your options at this time are:here are a couple of ways to unlock Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 edge even when your password ***** finger print is not recognized:You can reset the phone. All personal data and files will be erased and you have to setup the phone just like a new one. Please follow this guide on how to reset Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 edge.If fingerprint is not recognized, you can still use the backup password. The problem is Samsung enforce a security policy on backup password ***** and complexity and many owners forget it very easily.If you use pattern lock, after a few fails, you can use your Google account to unlock Galaxy S6 or S6 edge. But Google account does not work if lock screen security is set as PIN or password ***** fingerprint.You can visit local Samsung service center. In some regions, they can help you unlock the phone if you can be identified as the owner. But this is not a standard service: most Samsung service centers will insist on resetting the phone.You can use Google Android Device Manager. This used to work for almost all Android devices. Now, Android device can only lock your device if it is locked. If it is locked, you can only erase the device, but not unlock (reset the lock).You can use Samsung Find My Mobile service. I will show you later. This is currently the only working method to unlock Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 edge when you are locked out of your device.You can use Google account to unlock Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 edge if you are locked out of the phone. In the past, this does not work if lock screen security is set as fingerprint. But now, this works for all lock screen security settings include fingerprint in most (not all) regions. The requirement is your phone must connect to Internet.Let me know if that helps, if not, reply here and I'll assist you further,Dan
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The fingerprint was not scanning and I was locked out of the phone which erased all my data . I took it to my Verizon store and they told me google is requesting me to enter the original password (which I can't remember) I have tried many passwords and I just can't remember it. Verizon suggest I take it to Best Buy because they have a phone center there that might be able to over ride the google lock but they said no I needed to contact Google for them to release the lock they have on the phone. I am 67 years old and I am very frustrated over this. I have a new phone I am paying for and I can't use the phone because I can't remember the password ***** phone was set- up with
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 8 months ago.
Have you tried to restore access to your Google Account?
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 8 months ago.
You can recover your account through Google: Account Recovery
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have already done that many many times. But when I try the recovery code or change the password ***** still doesn't work
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 8 months ago.
You can perform a hard reset on the phone which will erase it and restore it to factory defaults, you can do so as follows:Hard ResetIf you’re having continuous technical troubles with your Galaxy S6 where it will not start, freezes constantly, or malfunctions, you may want to try a hard reset. A hard reset will erase all data from the memory of the device and set it back to factory defaults.Option 1 – From StartupWith the Galaxy S6 powered completely off, press and hold “Volume Up” + “Home” + “Power” buttons simultaneously.When the Samsung logo appears, release the “Power” button, but continue to hold “Volume Up” and “Home“.When the “Android system recovery” screen appears, release all buttons.Use the “Volume Down” button to toggle the selection to “wipe data/factory reset“, then press “Power” to choose that selection.Use the “Volume Down” button to toggle the selection to “Yes — delete all user data“, then press “Power” to choose that selection.Wait for the reset to finish. You will eventually be prompted to “Reboot system now“. Press “Power” to choose that selection.
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 8 months ago.
You will subsequently need to set this up as a new phone
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok I will try this; Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 8 months ago.
Let me know if this helps, otherwise you can come back here and continue our conversation. When you are ready to close your request, please rate our interaction to end our session,Thanks!Dan