Ashik, Android Tech
Experience:  Personal Experience with many Android devices and versions
16433418

The menu on my Kindle Paperwhite 1--5th generation has

Customer Question

The menu on my Kindle Paperwhite 1--5th generation has disappeared.how do I get it back?
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

First we can soft-reset the Kindle tablet and see if it works or not. Press and hold down (or slide) the Power button for full 40 seconds and this will reset the Kindle. Does that bring the menu back ?

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No change.I only get the home button when I push the right top corner.Still none of the other things on the front that should be there.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like your Kindle has updated and you are talking about new user interface. There are significant changes in new update.

Tap the Menu button i.e the 3 dots (or bars) at the top right of screen. Tap Settings. This will bring Settings.

In Settings, tap Device Options. Tap Personalize your Kindle. Tap Advanced Options. You will see Homescreen View option with a switch on right. Turn it off. Does it bring it back ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been trying to tell you there is not a menu button.It has disappeared
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

That is strange. When you held down the Power button for 20 seconds, did your Kindle resart automatically ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the only thing is the home and an arrow pointing to the left.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

When you held down the Power button for 20 seconds, did your Kindle restart automatically ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Connect the Kindle to your computer or power with the cable, then hold down the Power button for 20 seconds continuously. Your Kindle should restart and return back to home screen. Does it show menu now ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I had to start it.And you said 40 seconds no.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is nothing.I can restart it again only by hitting power again
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Do you have access to a computer there ? Lets try applying a new update using your computer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK Just remember I am not mechanicly inclined
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a computer
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Without the menu button being there, it is difficult to troubleshoot it. Also when you hold down the Power button for 20 seconds and release, it is supposed to restart automatically. I want you to try this again after connecting it to your computer (this time hold down the Power button for 1 full minute. When it is off, then hold down again for 1 minute)

Lets try to do the update. If it doesn't work, then I will pass this question to other experts in here.

On your computer, download the update for your Kindle from here --> https://s3.amazonaws.com/G7G_FirmwareUpdates_WebDownloads/update_kindle_5.6.1.1.bin

(This is the update file for 5th Gen Paperwhite)

When you click on the website above, a file will be downloaded. Now connect the Kindle to your computer with the USB cable. Open My Computer or This PC or Computer and you will see the Kindle drive along with C, D etc drives. Open Kindle drive and copy the downloaded file in here.

Once it is finished, disconnect it from your computer and restart your Kindle. Let me know results please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That did not work.It said windows could not download it.It gave me Stuffit expander and Free File Viewer to look at
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

You must not open the downloaded file. Instead just copy it to your Kindle. Just click it and let it download. Once it is finished, go to your Downloads folder. Copy the file from there and paste it to Kindle drive.

If it still not downloading, can you try download it using another browser like Firefox or Chrome ?

Get Chrome from here --> https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/desktop/

Install Chrome. Open Chrome. Copy and paste the download link in CHrome and does it download in Chrome ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Told you I was illiterate.So sorry but I do not know how to copy and paste.I guess it was a waste of money for me because I do not know enough about it.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

If asked to open with Stuffit Explander or Free File viewer, cancel it. The file is designed for Kindle not for Windows

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not do anything with stuffit or free file,thank you
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

No, it is not a waste of money. Since I couldn't solve your problem, you can contact *****@******.*** for full refund or I will open this question to other experts in here. If they have any idea, they will get back to you. You don't have to stay online. You will be notified via email when another expert picked your question

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,I appreciate it.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

I opened this question to other experts in here. If they have any idea, they will get back to you. You will be notified via email and you don't have to stay online until someone picks this up.

If no one get back to you, please write into***@******.*** and they will refund you. Sorry I couldn't solve your problem.

PS : Keep trying the reset (40 seconds method). This is the method that is supposed to work.