Randy Boman
Randy Boman, Technician
Experience:  Android Tech
62741268

My galaxy s4 just started shutting down and rebooting itself

Customer Question

my galaxy s4 just started shutting down and rebooting itself in a continuous loop this morning all of a sudden. I took the battery out, restarted but it did not help. Now the phone has a unlocked lock on the screen. I've had no problems with my phone over the past 18mos... have any suggestions?
Category: Android Devices
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have also tried the home+power+volume up key. This bought up a screen that ask if I want to download a custom OS to my phone. I selected "NO" by pressing the volume down key. The phone immediately shuts down and goes back to the screen which has a picture of an unlocked locked with the Samsung logo.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
also the word "custom" is displayed under the unlocked lock
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I just tried to push the power+volume key up/down+home key all together and a small box to the top of the screen appeared. It reads, current product SGHI337, current binary: enabled, system status: Official, knox kernel: lock, knox warranty: void, CSB_config-LSO:, secure download enabled, write protection enabled, burst mode: enabledIn the middle of the screen is the android logo with the phrase "downloading... Do not turn off target". I'm not sure if the screen is frozen on this but this is the most it has done since the first time I tried to use my phone today. Also I downloaded one app yesterday (Sonic Drive Thru App) that has been the only item I have downloaded this week. I'm wondering if this app went rogue in my phone and caused this problem.
Expert:  Randy Boman replied 8 months ago.

That sounds like it is trying to boot up in the firmware install mode.

Try this please>

1. Remove/reinsert battery.
  2. Press and hold the Power+Volume Up+Home buttons at the same time.
  3. When "Recovery Booting" appears in the upper-left corner of the screen, release the Power button. Continue to hold the Volume Up+Home buttons until the "Android system recovery" screen appears.
  4. From the Android system recovery screen, select wipe data/factory reset.
    Utilize the Volume Up/Down buttons to highlight and the Power button to select.
  5. Select Yes -- delete all user data.
    Allow several seconds for the factory data reset to complete.
  6. Select reboot system now.
    Allow several minutes for the reboot process to complete.

Please reply and let me know if you need any other assistance or if everything is good, take a moment to rate my service by choosing one of the stars at the top, then click submit.

Thank you very much!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi I tried that but it did not work. I will attempt it again shortly after530pm CST after work.

I am sorry about that,unfortunately this sounds like it might be a hardware issue. Try the reset a few times in order to rule out the possibility of a firmware issue by resetting the software. Let me know how it goes please.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The info you sent over, I tried all of that before your last email. Non of which works. The screen still has a unlocked lock on the screen and will not reboot. What can we try next?

Unfortunately this sounds like a hardware issue, the forced hard reset is the only option.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Okay. do I still have to pay the 21 dollars since there was no results on my end? The answer you provided me with, I already tried that solution before you emailed back, if you look back at our timeline you will see.

JustAnswer has a 100% satisfaction guarantee and you are not required to pay for something that does not help.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you Randy :)

your welcome!