p0llinate
p0llinate, Engineer
Experience:  Android phone and tablet expert
59725966

I apparently need to update my Kindle, per e-mail from

Customer Question

I apparently need to update my Kindle, per e-mail from Amazon. I've also not been able to log into Amazon either. I have a Kindle Touch 5.01 I purchased about 3 years ago. I'd like to talk to a live person rather than trying to do this on line. I'm pretty old school.
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  p0llinate replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Cathy.

Do you have the kindle linked up to your home wifi network?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No, it is not connected to WIFi.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Are you there?

Thank you for confirming. So you will have to update through your computer, by connecting the kindle to your pc via the usb cable as the first step.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It is always plugged into the computer. I'm just too old school, I guess, and need assistance...

You'll actually have to do 2 updates to get it current, first to 5.3.2.1, and then Software Update 5.3.7.3

Here is the first update (click for link) Software Update 5.3.2.1

then Software Update 5.3.7.3

Instructions:

1. Download the applicable software update file (links, above)
  2. Transfer the software update file to your Kindle device:
    1. Turn your Kindle on and connect it to your computer using the USB cable.
    2. Drag and drop the new update file from your computer onto the Kindle drive.

Note: Do not drop the file into one of the folders within the Kindle drive.

3. Monitor file transfer and disconnect:
    1. After the file has transferred successfully, eject the Kindle to safely disconnect your Kindle from your computer.
    2. Disconnect the USB cable from your Kindle and your computer.
  4. Start the software update:
    1. From Home, tap the Menu icon, and then tap Settings.
    2. Tap the Menu icon, and then tap Update Your Kindle. This option will be grayed out if the most recent update has already been installed or if the file transfer was not successful.
    3. Tap OK to perform the update. You will see Your Kindle Is Updating.
    Once the update is complete, your Kindle will automatically restart.

If you are not comfortable doing this yourself, let me know and I can do it for you remotely.

Sorry, looks like those links didn't work:

Software Update 5.3.2.1, and then Software Update 5.3.7.3

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No. This has already cost me money. I'm not inclined to spend anymore simply to talk live. I was able to get that much from the device itself. I'll struggle through it. Thanks. Have a nice day.

It is not required, just an offer, if you wish for the added service.

The above step by step instructions and download links will resolve the issue for you.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please rate my service; hopefully I have earned 5 Stars. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm not interested. I'll take care of resolving this issue on my own. Please "close" or do whatever you need to do end this our session. Thanks.

All you need to do is follow the above directions/links to complete the process. If you get stuck or need more help you may follow up with me here any time.

Closing our session (you can still come back) is accomplished by completing your rating of my service in helping you.

--

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Nathan: STOP CONTACTING ME IMMEDIATELY. THIS IS HARRASSMENT. I will NOT RESPOND TO ANY FURTHER INQUIRIES OR ATTEMPTS TO CONTACT ME TO GET ME TO PURSUE THIS ANY FURTHER FOR YOUR OR ANYONE ELSE;'S MONETARY GAIN. I WILL MONITOR THE CARD # ***** GAVE YOU AND WILL CHALLENGE ANYTHING THAT APPEARS ON IT. AGAIN, CLOSE THIS SESSION AND MY "ACCOUNT" FORTHWITH.

Cathy,

I am certainly not trying to harass you. You came here and solicited my assistance, which is all I've been trying to do, to help you.

Every time you reply here, I am obligated to respond in kind.

Again, you came here, and paid the agreed upon fee to the site, for the services that I provided.

I have no access to any account matters and cannot give you a refund or close anything.

I'm here, volunteering my own personal time, trying to help you, and have provided the requested information above. The only way our session is closed is when you leave a positive rating to credit me for my work. Not rating, or asking for a refund (through proper channels, which is not here) forces me to work for free trying to help you.