Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My Kindle Fire HD is frozen. I dropped it, without the case,

Customer Question

Hello my Kindle Fire HD is frozen. I dropped it, without the case, face down. Now, the touch screen doesn't work. I can't slide it open and when I push 'shut down' it's unresponsive. When I turn it on, there's a slight highlighting around the 'learn more' and 'lock' tabs. Do you think it's repairable or should I just purchase a new one?
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Hello and sorry you're having problems. You can try a hard reboot of the Kindle to see if that helps- but beyond that it would require repairs (about $130 to have the screen replaced), and is usually better off to purchase a new one.

The problem you're having is often due to the software in the Kindle locking up and it needing to be rebooted. To do this, simply press and hold the power button on the Kindle for 30 full seconds, then release and wait a full minute for it to reboot.
Do not press anything else during that minute. If this does not cure the issue, oftentimes the reset procedure needs to be repeated several times for it to force a reboot.

If that does not work then it would be more cost effective to replace the Kindle, and you can still download all of your books onto the new device without having to purchase them again.

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi, I tried the reboot before contacting you and it didn't work so I'll follow your advice and get a new one as it's more cost effective. Thank you.
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

You're welcome, and sorry to hear that it didn't work. If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. You can follow up at any time if needed.