Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Developer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Computers and Electronics. Android Expert.
23511658

Had a prob with signing in with my fingerprint from skin

Customer Question

Had a prob with signing in with my fingerprint from skin abrasion on finger so tried my backup password. Couldn't get phone to recognise what I thought was my password. Telstra did a factory reset & now I can't reset the phone because we cannot work out the gmail originally used to it up + email on gmail account has changed. Have contacted google who reset the password ***** every gmail account we can remember owning. Frustrated!! Have taken it back to JB Hi FI for help & they ended up frustrated also. Is there any way Samsung can totally clear the phone so I can start again. I have the receipt of purchase & I realize I will prob have to pay to have you fix my prob. Do you have any suggestions?
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 10 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer.

Sorry for the delay and thank you for your patience. My name is Michael. I will be helping you with your question today. Please let me know if there as any additional information that you feel might be pertinent to your question. If I don't hear back from you, I'll provide the best answer I can based on the information you've given so far. You will still be able to reply with additional information or questions at any point during our conversation, and I'll revise the my answer accordingly.

You should be able to get around the password ***** by doing wipe/reset from recovery. You don't need to access the home screen to do this.

When starting the phone up from power off, press and hold the down volume at the same time... it may also require holding the home button. If you get the timing right, you will see an android animation and then a text looking screen. Use the volume keys to navigate that menu to wipe/factory reset, then use the power button to select it. It will take a while to reboot and re-install the operating system, but when it does, it will allow you to go through the initial setup again and you will have access to the phone. Please let me know if you still have questions.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Mike tried what you suggested & a message came up on the screen that has a large arrow in the middle of the screen with a message that says downloading do not turn off target. This has been on the phone for over 24 hours. What do you suggest?

Try the same thing with uo volume instead.

The mode you are in is download mode - you did what I asked you to do exactly correctly to get here, but on some versions of the OS, it is up and on some it is down.