Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Developer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Computers and Electronics. Android Expert.
23511658

Name is ***** ***** [older female & not tech savvy]: ( I

Customer Question

Customer: Hi - name is ***** ***** [older female & not tech savvy] : ( I need to unlock my old Nokia 2730c-1 , something I have never had to do in the past when changing sim cards..... can you help me please ?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have purchase a new mod phone and taken the number to this new one. I have kept the Nokia and re inserted Telstra Sim can with new number and on starting it up it advised I need to type Restriction Code which I've NO idea of......
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Cell Phones Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Is this my best avenue OR should I return to the Optus Shop who disenabled the number from the Nokia to the new Phone ? Would they have put the Restriction Code active ? No Issue with the $18 just need to know I am go the right way .... no Children here to assist me.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is Michael. I can help you with your question today.

If your phone is "SIM Locked", meaning it is a GSM phone that cannot be used on networks that are not the network of the original provider.

The only people that can change a SIM Locked phone (for the most part) is the original carrier. And as long as there is no outstanding balances associated with the phone, they are generally required to unlock it... even if they aren't they have straightforward policies that allow for it to be unlock after so many months on their network in most cases.

So the best way to do this (should be free) is to contact the original carrier for the phone and ask them to unlock it.

There are third party unlock services, but they are seldom successful, especially on current models. So I would check with the initial carrier first. IF they will NOT do it for some reason, then the phone will not be usable on another network, unfortunately. That can happen if the phone was never completely paid for or if it was reported lost or stolen.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is good news Michael...BUT now concerned that you've not advised/shared outcome of your help
to me ?
My Payment has gone through and I am expecting to be advised of the Restricted Code to my v.old mobile so we may
continue using the Phone with different Sim for my husband, not mobile savvy BUT simplicity in we olds works !....Michael, I look forward to the outcome I requested and made payment for........ Kind Regards Michelle

I'm not sure I understand your response. I will try to be more clear.

The only entity that can SIM Unlock your phone is the carier who brought the phone to market. For example, if it is an AT&T phone, then only AT&T can unlock it. No other carrier, and generally no other party (at least not legally). Therefore, the current owner of the phone must conact that original carrier to get the unlock code - that is not something I have access to since I am not with any carrier. I'm not giving you any code, since I don't have that code. I am telling you where you can get it - from the original carrier. Whether they deem it eligible for unlock is between you and them. I am not involved in that decision.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Michael - TKU & TKU ! As said earlier am mature age [60] with no IT knowledge support via my children : ( as both O/S !
I appreciate your response and happy to pay for it.
I did feel I may need to go back the original carriers outlet but thought I may have got the Code directly from you guys.
Grateful for the advice Michael .......... Michelle

You're welcome! There are some third parties that will say they can give you a code, but they usually come back and tell you they were unable to do it - at least in my experience.

I would appreciate it if you could make the rating official by clicking on the rating icons, OK, good, or excellent. Thank you!