Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

My Nook HD+ won't turn on. I've tried all the time/button

Customer Question

My Nook HD+ won't turn on.
I've tried all the time/button combinations I could find, including the nook plus power button combination, which had no effect after multiple tries. My nook was working fine yesterday, but this morning I picked it up after charging it all night and I got a black screen. If I unplug it and then plug it back in the light on the bottom turns green for a second, then orange. The nook start up screen will turn on for a few seconds, the disappear. Trying to charge it was fruitless as well, as the charging light doesn't come on.
Please help, I'm sure its not broken.
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I'm concerned about the problem you describe, but I'm not sure at this point whether the charger is at fault, or the battery, or something else in the device.

When you use the charger, does the charger and the Nook both give indications of actual charging taking place, by indicator light(s) etc. ?

Examine the charger, whether the cord is sharply creased anywhere, etc. ? or are there any other signs of damage or wear to the charger and its cord(s) ?

How old is the Nook in question? if older than 1 1/2 years, the battery may possibly have begun to fail, or failed suddenly.

Examine the jack on the Nook, that the charger plugs in to... is it loose or damaged?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Russell, it seems that the problem has fixed itself, though I'm honestly not sure how. I woke up this morning and it was working just fine. Thank you for trying to help, and I'll be sure to come back here if the problem occurs again so I know how to avoid it in the future. I already contacted the site about payment.
To answer your questions though, yes, the Nook charge light turned green to indicate that it was charging, but then turned orange, and then went dark. The charging cord has no damage. It could be the battery (my device is a little old), so I'll have it checked out. My warranty is still active so it shouldn't be a problem.
Again, thank you for the help!
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

If your device's warranty is still valid (within the term of coverage, that is) then your device is not that old. And this sort of problem - that 'cures itself' suddenly - is definitely nothing like the problems one gets with a failed battery, which tends to be a quite irreversible problem.

It sounds as if your device - or some element in its charging path or charging components - has an intermittent connection, loose connection, or similar problem. If so, the problem will happen again. If it happens again in similar fashion, then determining where the problem is or the loose wire or loose connection is, would be important.

Thanks.

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

(If this completes the case, please rate my Answer, so that this case may be closed. Thanks, ***** ***** luck.)