Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have a Kyocera smartphone with about 3.5 gig. It's

Customer Question

I have a Kyocera smartphone with about 3.5 gig. It's full. I have an SD Card with 32 gig which is practically empty. I want to move everything over to the card and make any future installations go directly to the card.
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Russell H. replied 11 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

That can be done by changing the right settings - if your Kyocera smartphone is an Android phone. (Please tell me if that's the case, and what version of Android is on it.)

You could also copy some things from the phone's memory to the card. (But there's a question here: can the phone in question use a 32 GB SD card? is it too large for it? given the size, that is actually possible, so let me know the model of your smartphone, or at least the common 'model name', and I will advise you further. Also let me know if it is an Android phone and what version is on it, please. Thanks.)

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Kyocera model 6740. Android 5.1 I heard about rooting. Will that help me?

Rooting may not be necessary for this. Give me a minute or two please. I'm looking up the exact procedure for ver. 5.1. Thanks.

It may be as simple as going to

Settings

Storage

Preferred Installed Location

Removable SD Card

The Kyocera Hydro Wave (as this phone is also called) can accept a 32 GB microSD card, it says in the specifications... so there's no problem there apparently.

The change of settings I have in mind, to explain fully, designates the SD card as the place that acquired apps, downloads, etc. will be stored upon henceforward.

If this answers your question, please rate my Answer. If the indicated procedure has a problem, just let me know and I will continue to advise you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Settings. Storage. (( No preferred install location )) as a choice

Try putting the SD card into the phone first.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It's been installed

So, it is indicating that there is no other choice for Storage ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Correct

Has the 32 GB card been formatted yet? if unformatted, the phone may not recognize it as a choice.

I recommend that it be formatted, if not in the phone, then in a computer's card reader that is compatible with the 32 GB size of microSD card.