Answers by Eric
Answers by Eric, Developer
Experience:  Award winning Android Developer & part of the Cyanogen Development Team
57442719

My Android Smartphone (Samsung SG4) keeps turning itself off

Customer Question

My Android Smartphone (Samsung SG4) keeps turning itself off automatically in under 1 minute after manually being turned on, but does this only when turned on under battery power, even when the battery charge is above 50% charged. It does not do this when plugged in to a power outlet and will stay on, even when the power cord is removed and the devise goes to batter power. Various battery checker and repair programs have been installed, all indicating the battery is in good condition although I note this device with original battery is at least 3 years old and has been used heavily (almost daily, sometimes for several hours. Hmm...perhaps battery may be worn out?) I have battery saver programs installed but the timeout setting is set to longest time frame offered (i.e. 10 minutes) while this smartphone doesn't just time out but shuts itself off in under 1 minute when started under battery power, but not when connected to power outlet via power cord. The phone was accidently dropped from kitchen counter to kitchen floor about 1 week ago although it was covered in a leather case which should have provided some level of cushioning. What diagnostic can I perform or procedure (e.g. removal of programs) to get this phone back in working order so I can manually start it, stop it, and start it up again under battery power alone, albeit with at least a 20% battery charge?
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  JKalman replied 11 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I can help you with your problem. For test purposes, set the screen timeout to 30 seconds. Then turn the phone on under battery power with more than 50% charge. Does the phone stay on long enough for the display to timeout and turn off--i.e., phone on, display off?

Expert:  JKalman replied 11 months ago.

Are you talking about turning the phone on and starting the operating system or just turning the display on, when you say that the phone turns itself off after less than a minute? When the phone turns itself off, does it turn the display off or does it shut down?