Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Developer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Computers and Electronics. Android Expert.
23511658

My phone can send and receive texts..has data...but i cant

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** My phone can send and receive texts..has data...but i cant make or receive calls its a galaxy s4
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i ported my servce/phone number from mobi pcs to straighttalk on december 1st. since then, no phone calls tried numerous trouble shooting but nothing
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Android Devices Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** can help you with your question.

If you can make outgoing calls, but you cannot get incoming calls, that means that straightalk has failed to "port" of move your number over to the new line. Contact them to correct the problem. They may need the account number from your mobi PCS account. There are all sorts of things that can give them problems in getting a number transferred over, but you only have a short period of time during which it can be corrected. You should be able to get directly to them by dialing 611 on your phone.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mike.
I cannot make or receive calls. Is this the same issue?

No actually. If you cannot make or receive calls that means they have not provisioned your service at all. But you would still need to call them and assuming you are phone is a straight talk phone, you should still be able to access them by dialing 611 your phone.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My frustration is that everything works except the calling. Again, I can make and receive texts. My data works so I can access the Internet. But I still after 15 days cannot make or receive calls. I have spoken to them daily (Straight Talk) but they are unable to figure it out.

That's strange that they cannot figure it out. To help understand the technical aspect of the problem - the data and voice are provisioned separately. So it is always possible to have one correctly set up, and not the other from their perspective. Did they confirm that they were able to port your number at least? That's the most important thing, so you don't lose it. Anything else can be fixed. Do you happen to know the exact model number of your phone? If it is not a straighttalk phone, it may not be compatible with their system. Most are not (currently) but they will be changing that early in 2016,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They said that they were able to port it otherwise I wouldn't still be able to make and receive texts to the number. My phone is a Galaxy S4 through Verizon so yes, it's compatible because I'm using their Verizon sim card. The phone says it's dialing but there is never any ring tone and then it hangs up. If you attempt to call my number from another phone the voice mail comes on and days that a voice mail has not yet been set up for this phone and then hangs up.

You cannot use a Verizon Sim card with straight talk. You actually need a straight talk Sim card. And I a cannot show you where that is on their site because I went there and there site is currently under maintenance unfortunately. But again, he you would have to do this with straight talk. They should have provided you with a straight talk Sim card.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It IS a Straight Talk sim card. They sent it to me because my phone is a Verizon phone.

Sorry, you said "My phone is a Galaxy S4 through Verizon so yes, it's compatible because I'm using their Verizon sim card."

A straighttalk sim card alone doesn't make a phone compatible. Since you were on Verizon, you may have a CDMA phone. If you do, then Straighttalk won't even use the SIM card - instead they will give you a straighttalk Network Access Code. So, note that this is not necessarily just a simple switch. There are two types of phones (for the most part) - GSM, and CDMA. Most carriers are on GSM, but Verizon and Sprint use CDMA networks. The technologies are not compatible. Straighttalk does support both of them, but if they don't provision it as the right kind, then you will have data and no voice. And this is the problem you have. Make sure they know you have a CDMA phone. It sounds like they don't.

If you DO have to use a sim card, it MUST say straight talk on the SIM card.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Omg. I just explained to you that in order for me to have Straight Talk service with them they provided me with a Straight Talk sim card for my CDMA Verizon phone.

No. You initially told me it was a "Verizon" SIM card. Trust me, that is what you said. I'm reading carefully everything. So far you have said once that it is Verizon, and once you have said it is Straight talk. Easy mistake to make, but I have to make absolutely certain that we are on the same page. OK... so that means you have 4G LTE data, but they did not provision your voice for the CDMA network. They must know that you have a CDMA phone so they can give you a Network Access code. See here:

http://www.shopstraighttalk.com/bpdirect/straighttalk/Start.do?action=view&zip=46168&locale=en&market=CDMAV&gotoPhonelist=true

The sight is back up. The one on the right is the package you would have had to purchase. If you purchased the most common package, they would have provisioned voice on GSM, which that Verizon phone doesn't support. As I have said from the beginning, this is a voice provisioning issue on the carrier's part - nothing that you are doing or can correct by yourself. Regardless of how you do it, you must make them understand that you have a CDMA phone and not a GSM phone. In fact, understanding that alone should allow the problem to be resolved ... you have a CDMA phone and not a GSM phone. When they act like they don't know what you are talking about, ask for someone else and repeat. They definitely are NOT always the sharpest tools in the shed... the brightest crayons in the box... if you know what I mean.

Try dialing 611. Let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I am obviously not making myself clear. I apologize. What I meant to say is that I had a Straight Talk Verizon sim card for my Verizon phone which both Straight Talk and I are very clear is a CDMA phone. My phone is CDMA. Straight Talk gave me a sim that is specifically for my Verizon CDMA phone. And by dialing 611 on the phone we are discussing that isn't able to make or receive phone calls who am I hoping to talk to? Straight Talk? I will try.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I believe it tried to call Verizon. It switched to *********** and did the usual. ...said it was dialing but no ring tone then it hung up.

Straight talk is who we would expect to pick up. That's because whatever voice carrier has the phone provisioned to their cell network, that's who will answer.

If it went to Verizon, that means that StraightTalk has not succesfully provisioned your voice service. Your voice service is what works independently of that SIM card on a 4G LTE phone. Instead, they must give you a Network Access Code. The SIM card alone is not enough to provision voice on the CDMA network. They would have to have given you that Network Access Code to register to the CDMA network. Did they give you that?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about so I guess it's safe to say no they did not. I guess that will be the next step. I will soon begin tearing my hair out ugh. This is so frustrating. Does this have anything to do with APN's? I have no idea what that is either but while I'm on hold with them the message talks about setting up the correct APN to get data.

Nn. The APNs have to do with data only. They ARE a common problem when provisioning data on a phone from a different provider. The APNs control the sending of text message, MMS message, and internet access, but not voice. I believe it is the Network Access Code you are missing. Maybe if you tell them that, it will prompt them to correct it? Please remember to rate my service based on whether I have been helpful. Please click the OK, Good, or Excellent rating icon. Thank you.