p0llinate
p0llinate, Engineer
Experience:  Android phone and tablet expert
59725966

Kindle Fire HD, screen is flashing logo and turning on and

Customer Question

Kindle Fire HD, screen is flashing logo and turning on and off every few seconds. Will not reboot by pressing and holding the on/off button. Battery is fully charged.
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  p0llinate replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Expert:  p0llinate replied 1 year ago.

Marlene,

This symptom can indicate several possible issues: an internal hardware failure, a low/faulty battery, or just a simple memory/firmware glitch.

The first step here will be to attempt to reboot the kindle. This is done by pressing/sliding and holding the power button for 20+ seconds, or until the screen flashes (usually with an image of a tree), then release. Give the kindle about a minute to start back up, and let me know if the problem persists, we can then try some further steps.

Note: I realize you may have tried something similar, but the timing is critical (at minimum 20 second) and it can also take 4-5 tries for the reset to take effect.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No luck
Expert:  p0llinate replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for trying, Marlene. Unfortunately, this is a strong indicator of an underlying hardware fault, which ultimately cannot be resolved.

If the kindle still isn’t working properly, the next step will be a deeper level reset. If you have not charged the kindle recently or know that it is at least half full, then you should charge the battery for at least a few hours before proceeding further. Then plug the kindle into computer via usb cable, then press and hold power button for 60+ seconds, and release. The kindle will take 3-5 minutes to reload it's internal firmware. If it doesn't turn back on by itself, press power once to turn it on.

Let me know the results.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried and there is no change. It just continues to flash the kindle fire across the screen. It is random sometime lasting for 1 second to 15 seconds then the screen goes black
Expert:  p0llinate replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for confirming.

This was the last step you can attempt at the user level, and the persistence of the problem would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

These kindles really cannot be repaired economically. It is less expensive to replace it entirely: http://amzn.to/1NqtDmD

The base model is only $49 now.

However, you may still want to

be to contact Amazon kindle service directly, at 866\321\8851. Even if past the warranty, Amazon usually has very good customer service, and will often offer a credit/trade in toward a new or refurbished kindle model.

When you receive your replacement kindle, once it is registered and connected to wifi, all of your existing books/purchases will sync to the new kindle, so you won’t lose any of the content you’ve previously purchased.

Best regards,

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

I am only paid for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a positive rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately.