Ashik, Android Tech
Experience:  Personal Experience with many Android devices and versions
16433418

A very valuable application, CALENGOO, has stopped working

Customer Question

A very valuable application, CALENGOO, has stopped working on by Verizon Samsung Galaxy S5 phone. The creator and supporter of that application has diagnosed the problem as a result of memory leaks in Android 5.0. She informed me that there is a version 5.1 available for this phone but it is not available OTA (over the air). Can you give me instructions for installing this upgrade so that I can use this most valuable application? Otherwise I may be forced to switch to another carrier.
Thank you.
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

What is the exact model number of your S5 phone ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Model number SM-G900V
Android version 5.0
Baseband version G900VVRU2BOG5
Kernel version 3.4.0
Build number LRX21TG900VVRU2BOG5
Hardware version G900V.05
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you there?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Yes. I'm writing the answer. Please stay online

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't received your answer
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

I'm really sorry. There is no 5.1 version ever released for that model. All the available firmwares for that model can be found here --> http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/database/SM-G900V/

However, have you tried clearing that data and cache of that application ?

If not, try it. Go to Settings > Applications or Applications Manager. Find and select that CALENGOO app. Then select Clear Data and Clear Cache.

Then restart the phone, delete the app and redownload the application.

I know this might not be answer you want to hear, but to answer your original question there is no way to install Android 5.1 on your phone as it is not released yet. But there is a way run third party firmwares on it. Let me know if you want to do that.

Please don't rate me bad or poor if you are not satisfied. You don't have to rate anything. Let me know.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

I just checked some sites and found that 5.1.1 is going to be released soon for S5. It is not yet released officially. That firmware will be available in this website the moment it is available to public --> http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/database/SM-G900V/

Do you want me to send you the instructions now so you can install the firmware to your phone when it becomes available ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Remember, there are different variants of S5 and my answer is regarding your specific model number --> SM-G900V

I believe this is the Verizon S5. The AT&T Variant has been receiving updates since October not Verizon.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will not clear the data because the whole application will be useless without he data and settings. And because of the memory problem, I cannot even get into the application. I will forward to you the information the developer sent to me below:
Dominique Andre xxx
Add to contacts
11/19/15
To: ***** *****
***@******.***
On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 10:53 PM, ***** ***** wrote:
Hi!
> I used the new version after making the changes you suggested and it did
> send a crash report.
> I am now resetting my security.
Thank you very much! I have received two crash reports. Both say that
CalenGoo ran out of memory. It also shows that you are using Android
5.0. Android 5.0 has memory leaks that can cause these problems. They
are fixed in Android 5.1. It seems that according to this website
Android 5.1 is available for your phone:
http://www.vcpost.com/articles/89802/20150909/android-5-1-lollipop-verizon-s-samsung-galaxy-s5-out.htm
You should update to Android 5.1, it will probably fix this problem.
If you cannot download the update please ask the Verizon support why
you cannot download the Android 5.1 update.
If that doesn't work, then you can install this version instead:
http://android.calengoo.com/cg164test64.apk
It is identical to the previous version that I sent you except that it
automatically turns the option "Settings > Display and Use >
Maintenance > Improve speed with graphics cache" off, which makes
CalenGoo use less memory (but may reduce the scrolling speed a little
in the day and month view).
Does that fix it? Even if it fixes the problem, please contact me
again so that we can ensure that it will also continue to work when
you receive the next official update from Google Play.
Thank you very much!
Kind regards
Dominique Gunia
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

I understand. But to troubleshoot, we have to clear the data. Sometimes clearing the data fixes the issue. It is not safe to replace the application with another version as it may corrupt the data. Can you boot into safe mode and see if you are able to open that app ? To boot into safe mode, turn off the phone. THen turn it back on while holding down Volume Down and Power at the same time until it shows Safe mode on bottom. Then release the buttons and try the app ? Does it work ?

FYI AT&T S5s are getting 5.1.1 Since October.

But Verizon S5s have not received any updates since 5.0. 5.1.1 for Verizon S5s may release soon

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please send me the instructions to which you refer. However, it would be very difficult to say that this is a satisfactory result for me.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

I know this is not a satisfactory answer. Currently the firmware of 5.1.1 is not available for Galaxy S5. In fact, you have to wait for the OTA updates. Because my instructions about flashing/installing the firmware/ios using your computer when it is available.

When you install the firmware using your computer, it will erase everything from your phone which I believe you don't want to do. Have you tried booting your S5 in safe mode and try running the app ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

I know this is not a satisfactory answer. Currently the firmware of 5.1.1 is not yet available for Galaxy S5 VERIZON version. In fact, you have to wait for the OTA updates. Because my instructions are about flashing/installing the firmware/software using your computer, when it is available.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
First of all, it won't boot into safe mode and NO the app still fails to work.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

It should. Try this. Turn off the phone. Turn it back on and when it turns on, release the Power button then immediately hold down Volume down key only until it boot into safe mode. Let me know if it still not booting.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It did, however, send anther crash report to the vendor
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry. You have to wait until the 5.1.1 update released by Verizon. You will see the firmware when it is available, in this website --> http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/database/SM-G900V/

As you can see, only up to 5.0 is available for your device now. It may a take a few weeks or even months to get the 5.1.1 released.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

If you want, I will send you the instructions now to download the 5.1.1 firmware from your computer to your S5 when it becomes available. Remember, downloading the firmware from your computer to your phone will erase the phone completely and install the new version. Let me know if you need instructions to do that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not want to give a rating - in fact I am very disappointed with having wasted my time and yours.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

If you are not satisfied, please don't rate anything even if the system asked you to do so. You can close this page without rating.

You can contact***@******.*** for refund.

Best REgards,