Josh, Technician
Experience:  Android technician
50836188

Some books I didn't purchase have shown up on my kindle.

Customer Question

some books I didn't purchase have shown up on my kindle. Since I've been hacked and had privacy problems lately I'm wondering if someone else can just send them to me or do companies just ever send books to a kindle without anyone requesting them. I've received about 5 I didn't order or purchase
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.

The option to send books to another person is available through Amazon but it requires that you accept the "loaned" book; it will not show up without your permission. Can you provide the name of one of the books so I can check to see if the book is part of a promotion?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
give me a minute to pull out my kindle and fire up
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.

No problem-- let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are all dictionaries.
And this is where I also think I was also hacked, if you're allowed to respond to a related question.
Last night I was looking at a website and printing something. The next day my husband got ads popping up for the exact things I was printing. He uses a different computer than I do but we do share the same router/network. He says that is normal but I don't think that what I view on my computer should be showing up on his computer. Thanks alot Josh. This whole thing is creeping me out because I've had problems with a stalker before. Appreciate your help
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.

Ads that show up are based on your browser history, etc which can show up on his computer on the same network; that is very common.

Do you share your Amazon account with anyone?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No about the Amazon question
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
one dictionary is Duden Universalworterbuch
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.

Some of the dictionaries for your Kindle are free and it could be something that you accidentally selected or they downloaded from a previous time.

Click here: http://amzn.to/1WXOWU0

Sign into your account if you are prompted -- All of your Kindle orders should show there. Do you see the dictionaries there?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There doesn't seem to be publisher info with it. Another one is diccionario de la lengua espanola, again, no publisher info.
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.

Interesting -- I do not see that book available for Kindle either. Take a look at the link that I sent you and see if the books appear in your Amazon account.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, none of the dictionaries are there. And the guy that stalked me was kind of into literature, languages. It's what creeps me out and I never ordered these. Can anyone just stick books on my kindle like this?
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.

No, it cannot happen like that. There is an option for people to send you a book (whether they purchase it or loan it) but you would need to accept the purchase or loan. If someone had access to your account, they could technically accept that purchase or loan. I would suggest that you change your password ***** your Amazon account and delete the books off there. Changing your password ***** stop that person from having access to your account and if that was the case, it would stop it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you mean I can delete the dictionaries off of my Amazon account I can't because they aren't there. Will changing my Amazon account password ***** help because that's a pain in the butt. And how can it help because these books weren't sent to me via my Amazon account or they would be showing up. Does my kindle have a passcode I can change?
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.

The issue when dealing with a stalker or hacking issue is that it can get very confusing with the details. If the person had access to your Amazon account, they could send a book to your account and have it accepted. I would suggest a password ***** on Amazon and to factory reset your Kindle so that if anything was installed on your Kindle, it would get rid of it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do I factory reset a kindle? and by the way, thanks for all your help
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.

Which Kindle model do you have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
kindle fire
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.

To reset your Fire Tablet: Swipe down from the top of the screen and tap Settings. Tap Device Options, and then tap Reset to Factory Defaults. Tap Reset to confirm.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay, Josh and thanks
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome!

Please take a minute and use the rating system to rate our session as EXCELLENT, GOOD, or OK and press Submit so I am credited with helping you.

Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.

I have not heard back from you in a while -- If the issue is resolved, please rate our session as EXCELLENT, GOOD, or OK and press Submit so I am credited with helping you otherwise please reply back so we can continue with the issue.