Viet - Android Tech
Viet - Android Tech, Technician
Experience:  Troubleshoot Android Devices.
30037186

Help me get the AARP Real Pad started without having to deal

Customer Question

Help me get the AARP Real Pad started without having to deal with future updates for an elderly person. Getting pop ups for updates will only confuse the elderly frail person who is beginning to struggle with cognition and manual details.
I am in one state with the Real pad and the elderly person is in another state and with caregivers who may not be technically saavy in the least bit way. I will get it going and then send it to the person ready. I am worried about having to link it to the house internet.
Tell me what I can do now so that it will pick up the WIFI or what ever,,land based internet when it gets to the other state. I am not tech saavy either.
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Viet - Android Tech replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. After doing the first-time setup, then you can go to Settings -> (General) -> About device -> Software updates (or something similar), and disable Auto update option if it's there.

You can connect to your house internet's Wi-Fi for now, so you can set up. Then later on, the person in another state can go to Settings -> Wi-Fi option and connect to his/her Wi-Fi/wireless network name there (there must be a wi-fi/wireless connection at his/her location for Internet access on the tablet.)

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the access ID and want to add it myself. But my neighbor told me its best to let the tablet update automatically so it keeps security features updated. So I would have to allow that now right?

Yes, it's best to let it update all latest software for now. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do i add the future network now?

Go to Settings -> Wi-Fi, scroll down at bottom, then click on option Add Wi-Fi Network or something similar, then add any network name you want. Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so this step will NOT need to be done when the tablet arrives by mail to my father? He will just open the tablet and it will automatically connect to the network wihtout him having to press any buttons?

That's correct as long as you have entered the correct network name and the correct security option / wireless password, if any (it is case-sensitive.) Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

im on a page that says; Google and Location...

Can you guide me to know if i should refuse to allow this so my dad doesn't get tons of ads popping up on his searches or his hotmal because that will confuse him and he will press those ad buttons which might be scamming him as he is getting Alzheimers...

You can disable Google. Location is for map / direction, detect weather location, etc. That is if he will those services. Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well at the moment, i hope to communicate via skype and have it automatically open when he turns it on.

He cries every few times a day so i hope he finds it simple to contact me this way

You can just use Skype to contact him. If he needs to contact you, he just needs to tap on the Skype icon and connect with your skype name. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

But if the tablet is in the off mode, will he hear my attempt to skype him?

I'm sorry. What do you mean off mode? But as long as the tablet is in on mode (i.e., it's not powered off), and connected to Wi-Fi, then he will hear your attempt to skype him. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I mean to turn it off. It can't stay on the whole day or the battery will burn out right?

When it is turned off, is there a skype alert

If the screen is off, then it's still fine; there is still skype alert. You just cannot power it off (by holding power button, then select Power Off option.) It depends on each tablet model if it has good battery or not. You can test at your place how long it needs to be re-charged. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This is still not ready because i have to create an account to load skype...and create passwords to use facebook.. Do you know if there is any other tablet that is ready to use without doing all this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This is still not ready because i have to create an account to load skype...and create passwords to use facebook message live

.. Do you know if there is any other tablet that is ready to use without doing all this?

There is no tablet that is ready without doing any of all this because Skype and Facebook accounts, etc., are personal, and apps are your personal preference, i.e., you decide what app you want to install / set up. You just need to create accounts and passwords he needs to use and sign in the Skype app and Facebook / Messenger app, etc., then all will be saved, so he does not need to log in any account; he just open apps to use. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Would it be better to create a new email for my father and new skype and facebook because he is getting forgetful and if I use his old original email,, that can be hacked and someone can obtain important info on his emails like bank id and things like that right? I can create fake names if it is only for Skype use to keep safe perhaps?

It is your choice; it does not affect anything. You don't need to create a new email address because the most important password ***** ***** password. If someone is able to hack into only your skype account or facebook account, it will not affect your email account. But if someone is able to hack into your email account, then the hacker can use your email address to hack into your facebook and skype accounts also. I recommend to use the same password ***** email account and skype/facebook account.

- However, if you'd like to separate things, you can just create a different email address and use it for skype/facebook and/or for any other non-important stuff. Thank you.

Do you still need help with this issue?

If you still need further help with this, please reply back.

If everything is okay now, can you please take a moment to rate my service for this question on this web page? Thank you very much.